Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Piggie Post



I've received quite a few questions regarding my little roommate Melvin so I think it's about time to set the record straight on a couple of details.

First of all, as you can see from the official international news story I have linked for you, it is apparently quite common in other parts of the world for guinea pigs to wear clothing. Granted, this fellow probably has to endure harsher winters than Melvin does, but still.

Here's how pigs look in Peru...and yes, I do know what happens after they're displayed in their costumes
but Melvin doesn't, so please don't leave any comments about it, ok?

Melvin does not mind his outfits--the only problem is that he's a wee bit chubby now and they really are a little snug. There's one suit you haven't seen yet and that's because until I can find someone who specializes in plus size guinea pig garments, Melvin will be stuck wearing hats.

So yes, that means that I do not make his clothes. See if you can follow my reasoning on this: For me to make guinea pig clothes would be crazy. The fact that I have found someone who actually specializes in such items means that I can dress up my pig AND support someone's home-based business and what could be better than that??

Melvin is a terrific companion while I sew. He likes to talk and play with his ball...and you've never seen anyone enjoy an empty toilet paper tube like he does.
He's cuddly, he gives kisses (even ask Pam!)and unlike other household animals I could mention, I've never once tripped over him.

So now you've seen him as he is most days--showing off his gorgeous auburn coat.
And I'll leave you with his philosophy--which I remind myself of every time I'm in front of that window ironing:

14 Comments:

Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

Yes Mellie is quite sweet. And much nicer than Binnie for sure.

But man, I could have lived without those creepy photos.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Melvin is a sweetie pie. But I have to say, I was in Peru this past summer. That is definitely not what they do with guinea pigs there. Unfortunately, their fate in Peru is much more like a regular pig here in the US. So hold on tight to Melvin and never go on a trip to Peru with him. He is a doll!

2:41 AM  
Blogger Jean said...

Maybe it's time for Mel to have his own little pig treadmill? Either that or more elastic in the clothes! Isn't that what happens to us all... elastic waistbands! LoL... he's a keeper!
Oh, I had never heard that about guinea pigs in Peru b/4. Seems to me there would be bigger (ahem, fish) to fry!!!!

4:52 AM  
Blogger MarmiteToasty said...

Yep, just as I expected..... your a raving lunatic LMFAO....

I hear BBQ guinea pig is quite delightful ;)....

Only joking, Ive had guinea pigs over the years....

X

5:04 AM  
Blogger little acorns said...

Well, no wonder Melvin has that look on his face! Yikes! (No . . wait. . . that's always the look he has on his face!) Thank goodness - he's with you! (& his little body guard there!) . . . The only thing he has to fear is a hat that isn't very flattering! (Is there such a thing for a guinea pig?)
You're a cutie-patootie Mel!
xo, Bren

7:08 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Melvin is so sweet! I miss my piggie babies more every time I see him and want to get another one.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Project Runway... I can see Melvin on the next season! Does he know how to clomp like a horse down a runway?

I think you should have your own fashion show, E. Like a weekly gig for Melvin. Oh yes... that would be fun to see!

9:02 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

I think Melvin is adorable! He should have his own website!!! You are a good mommy to him too!!! as with your other pets!!!

3:50 PM  
Blogger tina said...

ohmygosh----------- I just owe you the BIGGEST thank you for this post, it (and I am not lying) made my day. Heckfire it might have made my week. No, it made my SEASON. I laughed, I cried, I guffawed, I in fact (a responsible woman who dresses her dogs for heavens sake) just purely enjoyed the boogies out of every second spent here.

HUGS---- THANKS-----

Should I come across any garments for Melvin in his portlier state I shall let you know.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Phyllis said...

I think Melvin looked adorable in his little clown hat sitting beside his friend looking out the window.

I've never seen such a well-attired GP!

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shared the Elf costume and Melvin with my daughter. He reminds us of our Bob. They could be brothers. Bob is also a plus size pig. We love your pig and it looks like he loves to show off.
Jil

9:37 PM  
Blogger Ginger Patches said...

I LOVE Melvin! We used to have guinea pigs when the kids were younger and they are so fun. I would love to see Melvin's "home". That was one thing I was always tweaking and never really came up with an ideal solution. I'm asking because I'm contemplating adding a gp to our family again and am looking for ideas :)

8:24 PM  
Blogger Red Geranium Cottage said...

I wanna come back as Melvin in my next life. No I'm not sick, I'm just sayin!!! lololol!!!!!!

12:09 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Paganelli said...

I love this little guy Melvin..

6:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older