Monday, February 22, 2010

the weekend that's worth a couple of posts


It was long overdue, this weekend. I desperately needed to get out of town--2010 has not started out particularly well--far too many dramas and stresses and so forth to deal with. I needed to get away so that the cobwebs could get blown out of my head and maybe, just maybe some creative juices could get flowing again.

So last weekend seemed the perfect opportunity to drive down to the central coast and take in the fresh air and meet some new friends. Bloggy/twittery friends!

OK, so we'll start with Friday. Pam picked me up promptly at 7:00. Which is actually late for us.

First stop was KathiD's place. I tend to think of her as @KathiD because she's really a great twitter pal. I'd recommend that everyone go see her place--it's terrific. Just turn right at the corner where there's no street sign. She says it must've come down in the storm, but there sure was no sign of it. ("sign" of it--get it? I crack myself up).

So at this point we're wondering if she really did want to see us, but she was there waiting and did seem quite welcoming!

Her place is amazing. Her studio is amazing. Her dogs are amazing. Her shoes are amazing. What really captured me was her chickens. And obviously her rooster. I may be a city girl, but I recognized that guy straight away. Wouldn't you know his favorite hen is also a redhead? Of course!



I was enchanted by those chickens. And their indoor/outdoor living quarters. And then I saw the coolest thing--KathiD opens a lid and there are eggs in the egg boxes! Aqua-trimmed egg boxes! I told her how special it was to finally be able to see where eggs come from. She tried to set me straight by explaining just what the hen has to do, but LALALALA I want my eggs to magically appear in egg boxes, thankyouverymuch.


So after a delicious melted cheese-based lunch, the three of us headed out. KathiD wanted to stop at the Cotton Ball and who could blame her? Wasn't difficult to find some fabrics I'd never seen before. Pam says that's not true--that I HAVE seen those fabrics, but somehow they looked better on Friday.


Then we went to Cambria which is ever so charming. Got some ribbons at one of our favorite shops and then enjoyed looking at plants at the shop next door.

Sadly we had to take KathiD back home and then it was off to our hotel. To rest up for Saturday. Which yeah, I know, has been discussed at length all over blogdom, but you'll be hearing about it here as well. Very soon, even!

8 Comments:

Blogger Kigwit said...

I absolutely love the bluebird ribbon.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Jana Nielson said...

KathiD used to talk about her Chickens all of the time, but stopped about a year ago. I was sure that she had made them into nuggets, so I was happy to see pictures of them alive.
Can't wait to hear more!!

10:54 AM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

It was a great time wasn't it? And we found some great stuff. Which is a def plus.

And KathiD. That was some fun.

11:07 AM  
Blogger drreneigh said...

I wish my chickens had aqua-trimmed egg boxes! Mine make due with those plastic milk crates turned on their sides...oh well, something to aspire to! Half of my chickens do lay aqua colored eggs, though, so there's that. Easter eggs with out the dye. Probably under the category of TMI, but my blog entry 12.29.08
www.mypetslivewithavet.blogspot.com tells a bit about how eggs are actually made inside a chicken.
Glad you had such a great weekend!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Kathi D said...

Well, I don't know about YOU, but *I* sure needed a visit from some darling girls! Thank you! It was so much fun!

11:48 AM  
Anonymous happy zombie said...

What fun!!! But I think Kathi needs a goat at the bottom of her street.

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to have colorful chickens, too. I miss having fresh eggs and listening to the hens talking.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Angelina said...

I have never seen such a spic and span nest box! I feel that it's lucky that you weren't looking at the eggs my hens lay which never look that clean.

I love the chickens! I'm getting more this spring.

What a fun trip.

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older