Monday, July 23, 2012

an engaging post




...about fishing??? Are you kidding? Well, here's the story. Fishing, or more accurately the activity known as "fishin", is just one of the many things I've tried in the last year or so. It's safer and more relaxing than skiing, but at least I don't actually fall asleep while going down a ski run. And within five minutes of being out on one of the lakes up here, I'm asleep on the bow of the boat. Can't help it. Something about the sound  and the motion just puts me right out. It's a little embarrassing really.  So I haven't gotten much use out of my fishing license or the tackle box full of the cutest, sparkliest, and most pink lures I could find. But the outdoor air can be awfully nice.


 Let me introduce you to Porkchop Rock. That's one of the sights to behold on Spicer Reservoir. Didn't catch any fish there.
                                       

Here's one of the lovely views from Wolf Creek. A place we had to hike to get to.  BTW?
I don't hike. Had to hold onto two men for dear life crossing one area. That had no path. And was steeper than any ski slope I'd ever go near. Discovered how strong a current can be when crossing a small bit of river. Again with the man-clutching. Didn't catch any fish there, either.


Now here, this is my favorite lake.  It's Lake Alpine. Didn't catch any fish there, either. But there are nice smooth boulders to sit on while you listen to the birds chattering in the nearby trees and you hear the "plop" sounds of the fish as they leap out of the water mocking you. It's so peaceful there when you wait until everyone has left and you have the whole place to yourselves. And then something happens to make this lake become a Favorite Place.


                                      

And you suddenly find yourself willing to use up some of your favorite pieces of fabric. Like this one from the year 2000. Because sewing must be done. And quilting must be done. And planning and decorating and fussing over details must be done. I'm already trying to calculate how many miles
of double wedding ring table runners must be completed.


So unlike some quilters' blogs, this isn't a quilt along. Not exactly. It's more like a wedding journal with a whole lot of fabric thrown in. I do hope you'll come along for the ride--I'm really looking forward to sharing it all with you.


5 Comments:

Blogger Library Gal Quilts said...

I think congratulations are in order! Yes? Well then, congratulations! It's not everyday a gal cuts into her favorite 12 year old fabric!

7:32 AM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

Congratulations!!!

9:52 AM  
Blogger MahQuilter said...

I wouldn't miss this ride for anything. Thank you for taking us along. Now I am going to look at my vast stash and see if I have any of this wonderful background fabric.I used my stash blues from 2002 for my last applique' pattern and called it "Stach Blues"

9:52 AM  
Blogger Miss Jean said...

That was a very engaging post, indeed!!!!! Wish I was there to see you at the Ironstone Quilt Show. I'll send my friends up.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Mary Anne Drury said...

Good for you !!!!!!! All of it ..... even the fish snoozing ! Congratulations !!!

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older