Sunday, February 22, 2009

Hey, let's make a quilt!




This is a really easy project--it's a great way to practice your machine applique skills and the piecing really couldn't be more basic.

I used scraps and pieces of vintage sheeting I had lying around--didn't have to buy a thing.



Start by cutting out a 15 1/2" square. This will be trimmed down after you're finished with the applique.

Now you'll need to plan your applique. If you're reading this, you have a computer, so just hop on over to your word processing program and pick out a font that you like. The simpler the better, especially if you're new to this. You'll need to enlarge the font--and I can't tell you the amount since it all depends on the font. Just keep printing out your word until it's the right size to fit neatly into your square (keep in mind the finished size of that square will be an inch smaller). Oh, and yes, because I'm a spaz with my camera, the backwards letters shown are actually for ROSIE, even tho I'm showing you JANE's quilt!



Print out your letters, flip the paper over and trace the reverse side of the letters.
Next, trace the outline you just created onto lightweight fusible web. Fuse the letters onto the wrong side of your chosen fabric and cut them out. Peel off the paper backing and fuse onto the right side of your 15 1/2" square.

Machine blanket stitch around all letters.

If you'd like more in depth instructions on this part, there's a book I can recommend!



Admire your beautiful work and trim the square to measure 14 1/2".



Cut out 2 strips of fabric 1 1/2" wide for the inner border. Crosscut into 2 strips 14 1/2" long and 2 strips 16 1/2" long. Stitch to the sides of the square and then to the top and the bottom, pressing toward the border strips.



From scraps, cut a total of (38) 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" rectangles. Stitch them together, along the 3 1/2" sides, making 2 strips of 8 units each and 2 strips of 11 units each, pressing toward the darker prints.
Stitch to the sides then top and bottom, pressing toward the inner border.



Measure your quilt top from top to bottom across the center and cut 1 1/2" strips to that measurement. Stitch to each side and press toward the strips.
Measure from side to side and cut 1 1/2" strips to that measurement and stitch to the top and bottom.



For the outer border, repeat this process with 5" wide cut strips.



Layer, baste and quilt. Bind with 2 1/4" strips of fabric and make your dog* very happy!



* I suppose you could make one of these for an actual person...maybe a baby? You can also keep adding borders until it's just the right size for you to snuggle up under.

If you make one, please send me a photo so I can share it!

15 Comments:

Blogger little acorns said...

Too cute! I will definitely be making one of these for Bailey! Thanks E!
xo, Bren

9:16 PM  
Blogger MichelleB said...

I LOVE it! I have a critter that looks similar to Jane. My kids would give me so much (you know what) if I made this for her. It just might be worth it. LOL

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super cute - the quilts AND the pups!

8:42 AM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

Love these little quilts and the dogs as well.

9:26 AM  
Blogger jen duncan said...

Now THAT is the most adorable square I've seen all day! OH I hope I remember to come back and look at this when I have some fun creative time to spend! Love it. :-)

4:02 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Very cute, I'm going to try it but for my friend not for my dog.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Angela Yosten said...

That is so pretty! Will have to make one of these.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely! What font is that? It's very cute and perfect for this project.

laurie@oldschoolacres.com

8:08 AM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

This is so so so so so so cute. I'm not sure I can do this! The letters look hard. I want to though, I love it so much. The colors, fabric and letters all make a wonderful display. Everyone likes personalized items.

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh too cute, E!!! I want to make one for my 2 dogs and 2 cats. Since York has the shortest name, he'll get one first... and then no doubt he'll have to share! Love it!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Busy Little Quilter said...

This is adorable! Thanks for sharing it with us. I know my kids and grand kids would love this.

I may do one in my last name to hang in my entry way.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

You made these for your dogs? You make it look so dang easy. Just a snip and a stitch here and there and VOILA.

I love these- so cute.

OK, I'm ironing my quilt top that I made last year to get back to work on it. No more playing around here!

2:43 PM  
Blogger life in red shoes said...

Even I might try this....said the wannabee quilter.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Anne Sutton said...

Oh my gosh how cute! This is just adorable. Wish my name was Jane or Rosie...

7:09 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Those are adorable!!! Could you please tell me what font you used?

jhogsed@verizon.net

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older