Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Pretty sure this is the last trip post



So if you followed the more timely and coordinated posts of one PAMKITTYMORNING, you know that we took a slight detour on our way to Houston in order to see the famous Hill Country.

For years and YEARS I've wanted to see Fredericksburg. There must be something in the water in that part of Texas because it's a hotbed of incredible design talent. The Homestead store has been featured in many magazines over the years and I've got enough clippings to make a scary stalker scrapbook. That was the first stop when Pam and I headed out that morning. I ignored the fact that the place is for sale (gasp!) and decided to just immerse myself in the wonderfulness of it.



I didn't really take any pics of the inside...so many shops don't like that sort of thing and I wanted my visit to be perfect. I was so crazy excited to see that the matriarch of the whole creative Homestead dynasty, Rose Hicks, was working. It was great that she's as sweet as can be and really didn't seem at all nervous by my enthusiasm.

I'll be honest--most of the shop's offerings, even on sale, are out of my price range. I knew I'd have to go home with SOMETHING or I'd forever regret it, so I purchased the most expensive pincushion in my pincushion buying history. I love it SO MUCH even tho it appears someone had removed a few of its bits leaving styrofoam gaps. I had to have it and told Pam she could NOT find out how much it cost me. Usually she keeps me in line but in this instance said nothing. At least I think she said nothing. I heard nothing, that much I'm sure of.



Anyway...headed across the street for more shopping, and discovered Haberdashery, which is a clothing shop that I'm actually grateful is too far away for me to realistically pine over. A-MA-ZING. Like arty clothes but just pretty-arty and made for normal sized people.

They even had these incredible flip flops which are beautiful with that Homestead vibe AND they fit!



If you're gasping over the Size 10 on the sole, know that my real size is generally larger than that. "Just think how tall you'd be if so much wasn't turned under for foot!" my father has told me oh, several hundred times.



Had to stop at this wonderful 5 and Dime store...and it is the real deal. Pam purchased some candy cigarettes (SEE how she is??!) and I left with an Aunt Martha quilt booklet.



My new best friend Rose had told us that we MUST eat at Rather Sweet, so of course that's where we went. Took me a minute to realize that this is also a famous place, and it's well-deserved. Amazing lunch and don't get me started on the pastries.




Drove around a bit...found a house to buy...gawked at the urgent care center, and decided that while Fredericksburg is wonderful, it's a tad touristy so maybe we should do some more exploring.

We decided to head over to Bandera, home of Magnolia Pearl, thinking the town would be covered in vintage brocades and trimmings. Well, it isn't. The landscape is simply stunning--but if I had to rely on the town for my needs there would be a problem.



Pam had received a heartfelt request to locate a cowboy and it seemed we might get lucky.



Unfortunately, this is the best I could do. And just so you know, Chris@catsonmyquilts, I did a complete idiot Tourist Move of sticking my camera right out the car window directly at the dude to get the photo. I hope you appreciate my going the extra mile for you.



Finally, here's an example of why I'm the perfect travelling companion: Saw this sign about halfway between San Antonio and Houston. I knew that Pam would need to know just what a "Czhilispiel" is, so was able to google it with my iPhone. In case any of you aren't familiar, it's "...the festival, named after Czech people who like to eat chili."
You don't have to be 1/8 Czech like I am to know that's a darn good reason to go back.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jana said...

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who finds wonderful houses to buy in every cute town in the country!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Kathi D said...

My mom always said (if I complained about my size 10s), "A girl your height would look pretty silly with little tiny feet!"

6:19 PM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

Oh yeah, its a great place. And I'd fit right in with the guy on the bench with my candy cigarrettes! He needs a brocade vest.

6:19 PM  
Anonymous barbara@quiltsoup said...

My dad said the same thing about my feet! If I didn't have so much turned under for feet I would have had to become a super-model and I much prefer being a quilty, crafty type! Don't use as much lip gloss that way.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Thanks for the cowboy picture. Not exactly what I had fantasized in my bored mind of what my cowboy should like! But I appreciate the effort and thoughtfulness of you girls. I loved all the posts. If I had been in that store with you I would have been fighting you over that fabulous pin cushion.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

I want to visit hill country soooo bad.. Thanks for the post

Pat

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Peggy from Elk Grove said...

Elizabeth, I probably have the same zillion articles on the Homestead bunch that you do, including the one on Rose's house. I'm totally in love with their look, but it's comforting to know that I couldn't afford anything if I was ever to get as lucky as to go and see the store. Thanks for letting me go on a virtual shopping spree with you.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older