Sunday, October 18, 2009

Ridiculously Belated Market Post!



I know, can you believe it? Market ended last week and I'm only now talking about it. Well, that's not entirely true--I did do a fair amount of tweeting--but that's not really the same thing.

I took my dad's camera with me, you know, a REAL camera, and turns out I just really stink at picture taking. Hard to tell my iphone pics from the ones taken with the Grown Up Camera. So please bear with me.

Even though we didn't have a booth this time, and only stayed for 2 days of Market, it was exhausting! Of course driving from the bay area to Houston might have had something to do with that...

ANYWAY, one more sign sighting before I get started...I'm sure this example makes perfect sense if you live in the area (Arizona, I think?) but good grief, if I have to pick, I'll take "zoo", please!



First stop was Brenda's booth...we were so excited to see it since her fabric "Celebration" was without a doubt, the prettiest offering at Market!
I did design a small pattern using her fabric and have to say, I want to design something else! Something bigger. It's just beautiful. BTW, yes, this photo does appear to have been taken by a 5 year old but that's only partially my fault. I've cropped it so that you can see Bren's lovely quilts plus preserve Pam's modesty.



The morning Bren left with her dad for the airport, Pam and I were still getting packed up. Her darling Bailey wasn't too happy to see his Mom leave with a suitcase, but Pam and I were at least adequate diversions for him. Bren did NOT warn us that he would cry when he saw us head to the door with our suitcases. Leaving that face was one of the toughest things I've done in ages!

As you've no doubt gathered elsewhere, Market is an overwhelming experience. You can have every intention of taking tons of great pics, but somehow it just doesn't happen.

Here are some random shots:



Always have to stop and see the always adorable Kay and she never disappoints! Had to get one of each of her new patterns. They're up on her site, so go check them out. You'll want them all, too.



Of course by now you've heard about THE CAKE...well, it was more delicious than it should have been. Lizzy is amazing.



I was so pleased to finally get to meet Sherry Nugent, the editor of Irish Quilting magazine! I love that I can purchase it in Dublin, California, but would prefer to go back to the OTHER Dublin some one of these days. No way to stash myself in her luggage so will have to console myself with the knowledge that my project for the premier issue, "Sweetbrier Rose" is in the Irish Quilting 2010 calendar! Can't wait to see it!



Also a pleasure to meet Amanda Herring of the Quilted Fish! She and her designs are adorable and I feel a little guilty for snacking on so many of her swedish fish.




Spent quite a bit of time over with Holly and her girls...her booth was especially lovely and I'm tapping my feet waiting on that bird fabric to arrive! Pam and I both fell in love with the new Dolly Dresses line...I loved the first and I think this one is even better. Lots of adorable prints and my favorite colors.



Got this shot of the sample book before Pam drooled all over it. It got quite embarrassing--Holly finally had to just give Pam the book. But nothing beats falling in love with fabric, right?



Breezed past the United Notions booth several times and it's fun to see familiar quilts hanging there..."Rose Delight" and "Simple Squares" are in the center of the photo.

Which reminds me...if you'd like a closer look at the 7 new Late Bloomer Quilts patterns (including 3 by PAMKITTYMORNING herself) head on over to the website!

10 Comments:

Blogger Minick and Simpson said...

Hilarious! I guess some people would just drive by that sign. It probably says too much about us that we find it hysterical. I think I would choose "Surprise". I love surprises and it kind of automatically rules out that the surprise is a prison - so that is one good thing going for it.

Laurie

9:16 AM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

My modesty? What's in the other half of that photo!!! Holy cow.
It was a blast and I have a picture of that sign as well. I pick driving right by it, it was rather a dud location.. but probably better than a lot of the locations we flew by! It had a Target and a Starbucks.

Yeah, new patterns!

10:29 AM  
Blogger xstpenguin said...

Hi Elizabeth

It's been hard work keeping up with Quilt Market ;-) Loved seeing all the photos everyone has been posting. I'm never satisfied with the ones I take of stuff either, but yours don't look bad at all!

Sounds like you had a fabulous, if exhausting, time.

That sign is great! I took one in Yorkshire one time that had places like Wigglesworth and Giggleswick on it. Real places! Me, I'm not sure about suprises, don't like zoos, not keen on ending up in prison. Hmm couldn't Cotton Lane have had a quilt shop!?

Cheers,
AJ

10:54 AM  
Anonymous blop said...

You won't believe this, but that sign is just one exit away from mine for our AZ house!! There is a huge swap meet, flea market on the right side of that sign. Monica always calls it SUPPLIES...she can tell you the story.
Next time, stop on by for a little coffee and chat up!!

12:21 PM  
Anonymous happy zombie said...

I can't help myself (thanks Connie!)...

SUPPLIES!

I love that sign!!! I keep saying, Phoenix has the best amenities!

1:16 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Love the market posts...any time they come! I seriously need to get Brenda's fabric and the new Dolly Dresses too!

1:22 PM  
Blogger little acorns said...

I just showed Bailey his photo in your post. . . & he's asking a bunch of questions. . . all about when you & Pam are coming back. . . (I've warned him that it might be a year. . . at least!) (Consider the invite open for next fall Market!) I know what you mean about that face. . . I have to face it every time I leave the house. . .! (Hiding treats helps. . .)
Thanks for the fabric love. . . (& for the blurry photo. . . I swear I have the biggest head. . .! Literally!
xo, Bren

5:49 PM  
Blogger Sherry said...

You DROVE? Wow, that must have been a hoot. or a honk?
Great to meet you in Houston--do come to Dublin, we'll have your magazines set aside for you!

2:06 AM  
Blogger Kathi D said...

I grew up in Arizona, so I know that Surprise doesn't always mean a "pleasant" surprise. We also have "Lake Pleasant" which isn't necessarily. Anyway, I have been gone from there a good long while, and have never seen that sign, and now I WANT IT. I will finance the trip if you'll come with me to steal the sign.

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Peggy from Elk Grove said...

Hey, my quilting girlfriend lives off Cotton Way and I was at her house the same week you and Pam were having fun in Houston. I had asked her too about the "surprise" part of that sign. Seemed a little strange to me.

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older