Tuesday, November 24, 2009

family

This is of course the time of year when we officially express gratitude for all our blessings and "family" is at the top of the list.

All families are unique, and ours is no exception, being a 100% ginger family.

Did you know that only 2% of people in the US have red hair? The greatest concentration of redheads is in Scotland and Ireland, and the numbers there aren't all that big either.

I'm pretty sure we've covered the entire red-hair spectrum in our household. I am not kidding--people used to stare at us when we'd be out together as a family. It wasn't uncommon for people to approach our table at restaurants--always to ask about our hair!

And by the way...people ask pretty amazingly inappropriate questions when you have red hair, but I'm NOT going there!

I was having fun going thru some old photos today and here's what I found:



Me, in 3rd grade.



Here's a fairly current pic of my husband...all of his kid-pics are in black and white. You know, because he's older than me...



Eric's 2nd grade photo really showed off the strawberry blond of his hair...



Nick, here at age 2, has the REDDEST hair of the clan and used to get teased for it, but ended up winning "Best Hair" in school. Go figure.



Jeff, my youngest, has brownish-red hair...it's browner now than it was when this pic was taken back when he was 5, but still definitely "red".

"Gingers" may be mocked by some (I was appalled to read a news item recently that a kid was attacked in school because some Facebook post called for redheads to be beaten up) but my kids wear their hair proudly.

I found out about this site just today and can't wait to get a copy of the book! It'll be on our coffee table for sure.

Well, it's about time for me to check and see how well our turkey is thawing...the next few days are going to be very busy for most of us and I want to make sure I got the chance to wish you all a very happy Thanksgiving!

9 Comments:

Blogger craft-crazed said...

wow! me and my sister have red hair but the rest of our family has brown hair.... including our older sister and no we were not adopeted :)

~candace

1:49 PM  
Blogger Kathi D said...

There were two redheads in my growing-up family, my brother, with carrot-red hair, and my sister, with henna-aided red hair. Then I grew up and married a redhead. I love darling redheads! (And they are all darling.)

6:10 PM  
Blogger Kathi D said...

P.S. We all had freckles, though, even the non-gingers. I probably hated having them at some point, although I don't actually remember that. Now, I think there is nothing cuter. And by the way, when I was (am) addicted to Sims, I gave 90% of my Sims red hair and green eyes. Whatever that means.

6:13 PM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

OH you gingers. We're cracking up over the fact that there are so many gingers on tv now. Seriously,all our shows are crawling with gingers.

Happy Thanksgiving.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Thanks for sharing your adorable gingers with all of us in blogland! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

7:19 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Only 2% eh? Although I have both blonde and brunette children, red heads run on both sides of our family. My son's girlfriend is a beautiful auburn red, so I envision little gingers in our future. Happy Thanksgiving!

7:57 AM  
Anonymous tammy tadd said...

Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful my Ginger friend!Love ya.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Oh how I have always loved red hair. You and your family are sooo lucky.

Pat

4:03 AM  
Blogger happy zombie said...

I love seeing you as a kid! I have the same freckles as you, but I'm only a tad ginger (at that age). I had no idea you were all gingers - how cool is that!

I'm now a dishwater brown. Can't I have a cool name like ginger too?/?!!!

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older