Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I did it!!



First of all I want to thank all of you for commenting about the tablecloths...I really needed some advice on this. The overwhelming verdict was to CUT THEM UP and so I did! I've still got a few that remained in one piece...a couple that really are too nice and a few that weren't the right colors.

So one night I couldn't sleep...decided to get up and DO something. Went into the studio, picked up my gramma's old scissors for confidence, grabbed an old tablecloth and CUT. It probably wasn't too smart that the very first item to be sliced was my very favorite, and after cutting I realized that I wasn't entirely sure that the piece would be the right size.



I did have to make some adjustments but no tablecloths were wasted. I had to make a total of seventeen of these...and because of the way things turned out, I ended up making 2 of them out of a piece of striped new fabric, which you'll see on the kitchen window.

I'm super happy with the way this project turned out and my granny kitchen is getting a little brighter and more colorful every day. I don't think my family is thrilled with the new look, but now that my kitchen is happier, I'm wanting to spend more time in there and they are benefitting from that. So all good! And on to new pillows, cushions, and the like.



So there you have it--the newly adorned kitchen window. I'll show the rest of the windows in a future post. For those of you who may have a similar dilemma to mine, I have to say that the first cut is the hardest!

And I'm trusting that Judy in Michigan is correct when she commented that she's "...sure there are other tablecloths circling the globe...". I think that's a delightful image--bright, well-loved tablecloths floating somewhere above just waiting for a fabric lover to find them!

20 Comments:

Blogger Sentimentally Me said...

Ohhhhhh! I L*O*V*E that!!! Nice job!

2:47 AM  
Blogger Kathi D said...

It looks fantastic! Totally worth the cuts. Also, love the stripiness you threw in, too. I have a few old tablecloths circling my part of the globe--what am I going to make with them? Housecoats?

3:50 AM  
Blogger Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Well that is spectacular. You are sooo brave! I have some linen table clothes of my mothers and MIL..hmmm

Pat

4:36 AM  
Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Oooooh - it's beautiful Elizabeth! I LOVE the style you've chosen!

5:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Aren't you just happy that you cut them up? The result is just beautiful!

6:36 AM  
Blogger Judy in Michigan said...

Just perfect - the shape you chose enhances the beauty of the cloths and the stripes make it perfect!! If you had "gathered" (shirring? don't know the proper term) the cloths, you wouldn't have seen their pretty patterns so your design is the best!! Keep CUTTIN'!

6:58 AM  
Blogger Jewel said...

I love love love them!

7:09 AM  
Blogger little acorns said...

Yea you!! I know it was so hard to cut up your tablecloth lovelies. . . but look at your window lovelies! They're perfect!!! (. . .& deep down - I think the guys will love them & all they represent!)
xo, Bren

7:09 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

That's lovely!!! Do mine next!

7:33 AM  
Anonymous barbara@quiltsoup said...

Boy was I wrong! Your swags are wonderful. Way to go little chicken!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Really sweet swags! I love the colors...glad you cut into them.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

what a great way to use them!! much better than safe..uncut.. in a box forever.

2:29 PM  
Blogger jen duncan said...

So sweet! What a fun addition to the kitchen. And the stripes were a def "need to add". Brilliant!

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Susan said...

"Sew" cute.

5:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the window treatment. So cozy.

Darlis

9:31 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Hey I’ve been following your blog for a while now!!! I think that this might be something you would be interested in. Maybe you’d like to participate or just do a little post about it! I’d love to see it be a great book ☺ (P.S. I’m not getting anything for passing the message along!)
Mandy from http://thatssewmandy.blogspot.com
All the info is taken from…
http://quiltinggallery.com/quilters-cookbook/
They posted on their blog:
I'm very pleased to organize the first-ever Quilter's Cookbook with recipes from quilters around the world. Everyone is welcome to submit a recipe, a photo of their favourite quilt and a story for inclusion in the Cookbook. The submission deadline is November 28, 2009.
The Quilter's Cookbook will be available for sale as a downloadable PDF file in early December 2009. The price will be determined based on the number of recipes submitted and the number of advertising sponsors.
The Cookbook is being created as a fundraising effort to help off-set some of the costs associated with running the Quilting Gallery site and to fund new community-based features planned for 2010. Please help support the community!
The theme for this Cookbook is "Quick and easy recipes, so we can get back to quilting!".

9:34 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

These valances are AWESOME!! I may just do this in my own kithen for the spring. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!! :)

8:35 AM  
Blogger suz said...

I absolutely love these valences! I was a "cut them" voter and I'm so glad you did - they are wonderful!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

such charm and beauty I have come to expect Elizabeth..love your pooches too..animal lovers unite here!!

6:44 AM  
Blogger Red Geranium Cottage said...

Very, very cute Elizabeth. I love it.

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older