Monday, November 17, 2008

The real question..

What happens when Quilt Market is over?
It's a tradition that after the booth has been dismantled we head on over to Jax Grill to enjoy the meal we've been discussing since we landed in Houston. I highly recommend that you go, but only if you enjoy things like...
Amazing chicken salad...



The tenderest chicken fried chicken with cream gravy...



And the finest cheese fries on the planet!



Be sure and tell Laura the manager that we sent you! Isn't she adorable? She sent us home with Jax caps to wear with pride.



Pam and I had an extra day, so we headed off to explore some of the cooler parts of Houston. We both love charming old houses and Houston has much to offer in that department. We did have a bit of a dispute, however, since apparently the word "charming" means different things to different people. Thank goodness a compromise was reached--Pam took me to the house I was determined to see but she refused to get out of the car.



And here we are! What? You aren't familiar with the Beer Can House? Well here's a link so you can get caught up properly.
The morning sunlight did not cooperate with my picture taking, so you really can't get a sense of the artistry at work here. Or the delicate tinkling sound...pure magic, I tell you!







Next stop?



My sister in law Julie had driven us through part of this area last year after our Jax dinner and Pam and I vowed to return. Here there are many cottages whose charm we both agree on.
I'll take this one...



or maybe this one...



A cottage on Cottage Street? Yes, please!



We had a light lunch at a wonderful little cafe--as you can see, they had the one thing to make Pam really happy.



So we're driving along the residential streets, enjoying the scenery, when Pam becomes aware of a woman coming up behind us at an alarming rate of speed. A fellow Californian, perhaps? Regardless, Pam felt the need to pull into the next available driveway. It's fate!! Thank you, Rude Driver!! Look what we've found!!



Of course the only problem is that we really can't bring much home with us. Airlines are so picky about their overhead bin rules.
I did pick up a wonderful vintage children's book and received assurances that shipping is a possibility...you know, like for this 1920's light fixture?



The prettiest light fixture in the history of light fixtures! I've figured out a spot for it (of course the spot has no actual wiring, but man, that light would look great there) but I'm scared to call and see if it's still available.

Anyway, time to clear my head and explore the outside. Hey, do you suppose they carry



Why, yes, I believe they do!










And statuary and all sorts of other necessities.
Here's Pam making sure she can see a route out of here.



Next stop, downtown!



Where art cars and art scooters reign supreme.





What a great day--and now it's time to come home.

17 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love your post! I just wish now that I had more time to spend in Houston. You guys brought the sights to me. Okay, where is Jax grill?? I just have to go there next time, my hubby calls me Jax!!

9:59 AM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

It was a great day. Love your rendition of it!

10:34 AM  
Blogger LizzyHouse said...

I think Houston gets a bad rap sometimes... people say it's all business and no fun. We are really proud of it though, and they have really done a lot to make it a nice place to be. The park in front of the George R. Brown was so cool!

Thanks for enjoying the city and sharing it!!!

10:52 AM  
Blogger jen duncan said...

What a nice post! Made me want to go, too. :-)

11:49 AM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

And hey, I loved that pamkittymobile.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

The patio furn pic was really the most amazing. Who doesn't like cottages! Well I certainly do.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the "pamkittymobile"... even though I think it's pretty darn close to what I imagine the happyzombiemobile would look like.

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just looked at the photo in large view. Ok, ok... it's way more a pamkittymobile than an hzmobile. But I still love it. But it does have a certain zombie vibe to it... can't quite put my finger on it why.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Minick and Simpson said...

I am tagging along with you next year. You covered almost all of my favorite things..... junk, antiques, cottages, surreal houses, and caffeine.

Laurie

5:18 PM  
Blogger Green Kitchen said...

Nice post. I would have loved to tag along. Boy, now I'm hungry.

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great bunch of junk! Love looking through that stuff.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

hi elizabeth. i'm renee. i was just looking through your photos from your trip to houston and something caught my eye i wanted to share with you. In one of the photos of the antique store, the one with the red, staircase plant stand in the right front, in the back, on the wall is a myers pump sign. i hail from good old ashland, oh and that company began in 1870 right down the street from where i live. lol. my grandparents and mother worked there years ago. i just thought it was neat and thought i'd share. i enjoy your blog. have a great day.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Angelina said...

That was a great tour! I would have loved the beer can house. But I have no taste!! I'd love to have some of those cheese fries too. Pass me some please.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Holly's Street said...

WOW! You girls are always up to something. Pamkittymobile I WANT ONE

6:22 PM  
Blogger Anne Sutton said...

The two of you could find excitement anywhere! What fun! Love those cottage houses! Have a great Thanksgiving! I expect to see photos of the little furry guys getting some kind of Thanksgiving treat.

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Elizabeth! Hope yours is wonderful and you get all the time you want with family!!

5:03 AM  
Blogger Sarah and Jack said...

That basket lamp is seriously amazing. Did you ever find out if it was still there?

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older