Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I'm back (yawn)



Actually, I've been back for just over a week. Doesn't quite feel like it though...it's a bittersweet thing to be back...I really missed my kids, and my dogs, but now? I'm really missing Scotland...

So why the yawn? Well, there's an 8 hour time difference. I easily settled into the change when I arrived--I was excited anyway so just had to keep moving. As for coming back? Totally different story...

It was a wonderful trip. I'll remember every minute of it. Unfortunately, I did a better job taking pictures of my travel bags than I did documenting my actual trip. I was so busy experiencing everything that my camera sat idle. Guess that means I'll have to go back, right?

I do have a few photos to share...I spent most of my time in Glasgow, which I really did like, and the cool thing? I didn't hear one single American the entire time I was there.

Another thing? It didn't rain once. It was pretty cold though, but this California girl managed just fine.

The top photo? That's the view from my hotel room. George Square is full of brisk-walking business people in the morning...families in the afternoon...and uh, rather loud revelers each night.



On the first day, I spotted this cute fuzzy red thing being filmed on the square.





I lost track of how many miles I walked...shopping, walking along the river, admiring the architecture.





Stopped in my tracks when I saw this shop...all three exterior sides of the building, plus the back of the interior, were covered, floor to ceiling with old sewing machines. It was amazing...



Spent the last day in Edinburgh, which 2 1/2 years ago I'd pretty much decided was about the coolest city ever, and I still feel that way. Only this time? Instead of a steady rain, I got to experience blue sky...

So anyway, I'm home and am getting settled back into the routine. There are quilts to be designed and patterns to be written, and new fabrics to drool over. I'm looking forward to getting back to work. It'll be just a bit different now tho...since a piece of my heart will forever be in Scotland.

12 Comments:

Blogger Dora, the Quilter said...

Sounds like a great trip!
It's my understanding that all the All Saints stores display vintage and antique sewing machines like that. It just makes me very, very sad because with minimal maintenance those machines could be used for another hundred years--and nobody's using them when they're bolted to shelves for display.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Mary Anne Drury said...

Glad to hear your trip was everything you needed it to be and you're back safe and sound and refreshed. Happy designing and sewing !

8:12 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Sounds like such an amazing trip. Your photos are beautiful!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Oh, you lucky girl! Glad to hear you had a wonderful trip -- and no rain -- a miracle! Did you visit any castles? Or fabric shops? ;-)

5:57 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Wow, sounds like an incredible trip! And it sounds like you need to de-frag for a few days!

Rest up! You can share it all later.

PS. Loved the store with all the sewing machines...how cool!

7:18 AM  
Blogger Miss Jean said...

I'm glad you got home safe and sound. Maybe one day you can lead a tour and take some of us back with you to Scotland!!! How cool would that be. Pat does Ireland, Elizabeth does Scotland!!!

7:47 AM  
Blogger Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

You are so lucky to be able to travel to Scotland!! I would love to be able to go there someday - the homeland of some relatives..well, pretty much the whole UK!

The buildings are beautiful! Dreamy!!!

Glad you made it home safely!
Your packing accessories are so sweet!

xxoo
Becky

10:27 AM  
Blogger myBearpaw said...

Great photos, Elizabeth! I also took a photo of the All Saints shop last time I was in Glasgow - It is just amazing! So sorry we didn't get to meet up. I am just writing about your lovely fabrics on my blog!

2:37 PM  
Blogger A Peppermint Penguin said...

I can't believe you were here and I'm only reading about it now! Wow, I haven't been in that part of town for a long time, but I used to hang out with friends in The Counting House pub, right on the corner of George Square, that is such a familiar view.

You probably know this already but that All Saints shop is where Borders used to be before they went bust.

I'm glad you had such a great time!

Cheers,
AJ

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Sherri Falls said...

Your trip looked awesome. Hope to see you at Market and hear all about it! Glad your home safe.

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Amanda said...

I'm glad you had a great trip. I would love to go to Scotland, especially since my family originated from there. We even have a castle that we can go visit any time!

I can't wait to see what you design next!!!

5:15 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

Edinburgh is one of my favourite cities - I love the overload of Gothic splendour, and it weirdly looks its best in the rain! You should watch 'The Illusionist', an animation as directed by Sylvain Chomet. It's set in Edinburgh and it is such a thing of beauty I cannot say.

Cx

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older