Thursday, January 12, 2012

starting over



According to Blogger, it's been almost 7 months since I've last been here. Seems impossible, but I'm sure Blogger is telling the truth.

And after all, a whole lot has happened in that time. Of course that's what a blog is for...sharing all those bits and pieces of life as it happens. Unfortunately, for various reasons I just wasn't really able to do that.

My life has changed in many BIG ways during this time and quilting has had to take a back seat to lots of other goings on. The changes were absolutely necessary, but sadly my creativity disappeared during those months. I'm relieved it's coming back. My head is once again filling up with applique designs that should soon be in process. Roses, always roses...but other motifs as well. I can't wait to get the designs on paper and then of course cloth.



There are other changes in my life as well. I'd spent all my years in the San Francisco bay area and while I always had a rose and perennial garden, there was the steady sound of a freeway in the background and all the other noises that go along with living in crowded suburbia. These days a fair amount of my time is spent in a place where all I hear is birds. And breezes. No rose garden, but lots of oaks, pine trees and canyon views. Deer and bobcats wander around. What I spend time looking at has affected the colors I'm now drawn to...I still love bright happy fabrics but these days I'm wanting to experiment with a more subdued palette.


I've brought Bittersweet back out and had a great time making a Delectable Mountains quilt--out of Civil War fabrics! Not one piece came from my stash--and that quilt may be the only one I've ever made that doesn't use any fabrics with roses on them.



I've made quilts with bluebirds on them but have never before been able to look out the window and actually see bluebirds. These are Mountain Bluebirds so aren't quite as bright as their eastern cousins, but they're a thrill for me every time I see them.

Even the eggs are different up here. Fresh from hens belonging to a new friend and instead of plain white, they're brown, pink and an aqua that's so pretty I have a hard time using them.

I now have a sewing machine in each of 2 counties. Life is good.

30 Comments:

Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

YOU POSTED!!!

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Robyn of Coffee and Cotton said...

So nice to see you back! It looks so relaxing where you are.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

It's good to hear from you again. I wish you happiness and peace.

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back!!!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Little Bluebell (Adrianne) said...

Morning Elizabeth! Those bluebirds are so cute. I'm typing this as I listen to "suburbia" waking up (today is garbage day, LOL). I would love to be hearing birds!

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your creativity is back! Mine is still taking a sabbatical if you know what I mean. You're going to inspire me to get back into the groove, I just know it! :)

8:57 AM  
Blogger Miss Jean said...

Yay!!!! Elizabeth is back!!! I can't wait to see what new and exciting things you create.

I'm happy you are experiencing the serenity you deserve.

Hugs
xo

9:27 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Glad to see you back. Love the quilt you have underhand. Enjoy the new phase of your life.

9:34 AM  
Anonymous blop said...

Welcome back! Life is .... ups and downs, light and dark...all is life!
Enjoy!!

9:50 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

So glad things are good for you and that your creativity is coming to the surface again!

10:09 AM  
Blogger laurie said...

Missed you! Glad you're back.

Those eggs are gorgeous!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Mary Anne Drury said...

Nice to have you back in Blogland ! I'm a born and raised Pennsylvania mountain and woods girl .... moved away to the big city (Philly) for awhile , then to Southern California for awhile .... but I've been back in my happy place of mountains and woods and critters for the past 21 years (so my boys have been brought up here and love it too ). ENJOY your fresh new start and lovely sights and sounds of nature !

11:40 AM  
Blogger jenny allsorts said...

Hi Elizabeth, welcome back! You were missed!!!

2:10 PM  
Blogger Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Good to see you back. Glad the change in scenery is inspiring you. Hope your life change fills you with good things.

3:38 PM  
Blogger mascanlon said...

Glad to see you're back Elizabeth and life is moving on in a good way for you! We have missed you!

4:31 PM  
Blogger life in red shoes said...

Praise the Lord, you're back!!!!!

5:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So nice to see you back! Anywhere that there is birds this beautiful and eggs these incredible colors cannot be all bad.....I hope you are happy. :) Sandy

8:13 PM  
Blogger Goosegirl said...

YAY!!! I have missed your posts Elizabeth! I hope you are doing well and I am glad your creativity is coming back. I know that after we moved, for a few months, I struggled to get my feet firmly planted again. I can't wait to see your lovelies as you continue to post.

9:45 PM  
Blogger ferne said...

I moved out of the bay area 2 years ago after living there for 30 some years and now live in a place that looks similar to yours near Mt Lassen and Mt Shasta. It is a big change in many ways and I am loving it! Hope you will too! You are right it does inspire you to like different things though. I did plant some roses here, in gopher cages and behind a deer fence!

6:51 AM  
Blogger bmayer said...

Welcome back! This East coaster (Fl) has always enjoyed your posts and your work. Missed you. Now...dont wait another 7 month to post again.....

7:15 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

It's so good to see you back. Looking forward to seeing what new things you create :-)

7:39 AM  
Blogger Auntie Pami said...

Welcome back! Nice photos. I love the bluebirds, they are so adorable!

2:20 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Welcome back! It looks like your creativity is in full blossom!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Dawn Heese said...

I am glad to see you posting again.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Grandma Shell said...

Like everyone else that's posted I'm glad to see you back! Those colored eggs come from a specific breed of chicken, the reason I know is because my husband has some. I love NOT living in the city. You are just the opposite of me! It's all brown around here so I stay FAR away from browns. They depress me. Sounds like life is treating you well, take care, and. . . . post more often.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Well come back..You have been missed. Enjoy the return to creativity.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

Martha Stewart calls her fresh eggs of different colors "easter eggs". I love when our hens put out the pretty different shades. Nice to see you posting again.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Sewn With Grace said...

I'm so happy to see you posting again. I have missed your creative inspiring posts and look forward to seeing what you'll be sharing next. Blessings!

1:41 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Goodness sakes, woman, I thought you were never coming back! But I'm so glad you did. :-)

11:21 AM  
Blogger Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Mother nature can sure make you look at life differently. I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am for sure. What a peaceful place you live. My mother moved to the mountains for the very same reasons and never came back down the hill - only once, 3 years ago.

xxo
Becky

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older