Friday, August 29, 2008

Can't get much better than this!



No, it's not your eyes--it's my lousy photography that's responsible for the blurry pics. HUGELY exciting day yesterday--it was an Outing Day for Pam and me, but we had an extra special guest along (insert drumroll here)...MONICA!!!

Even the up to 110 degree heat could not deter us from our fun--starting with the always wonderful Thimble Creek.
Monica hadn't been there in years and I hadn't been there in DAYS, so there was lots of shopping to be done.


Here's Monica showing Roxie where her projects are in the latest Quilts and More magazine...it's a must read, btw.



Here's Pam getting ready to take a bloggable photo...



Here's our pile(s) of necessities. Always a little confusing when we have to keep "borrowing" from each other's piles! Pam and I both needed a little more Minny Muu and I found some lovely greens for still another upcoming project--Lecien fabrics are so wonderful. By the way, Thimble Creek has a terrific assortment of Lecien--including Minny Muu, so give them a call if you need some.

After lunch we headed out to Union City to the Daiso store there. Pam and Monica were already big fans of Daiso, but it was a new experience for me. I wouldn't consider myself a big fan of dollar stores, but a Japanese dollar store? Now that's something else entirely.


Practically everything in the place is $1.50. There are entire aisles devoted to plastic storage containers, clothespins of every conceivable shape and color, baking items, garden items...the list goes on and on. Just don't get me started on the WALL OF SPONGES. I got some pretty pink and white ones, an "It's Pretty Cleaner" pig sponge, and my very favorites--they have smiley faces embroidered on them.



I wasn't the only one who found goodies--Pam is always the very picture of self-control, but she's got some new stuff now but Monica wins the prize for finding the most essentials. She did pass on the mayonnaise rack I spotted (she has a love for mayonnaise that is downright disturbing) but I'm thinking it was just too small for her needs.

So today it's back to the reality of having way too many quilt projects going on than could ever be considered reasonable, bracing myself for another day of crazy heat, and missing Monica already!

14 Comments:

Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

I know. Our lives need more Monica on a regular basis. It was a fun day. I love TC, love lunch out and love Daiso. Put my rabbity trash can out already. I'll have to get on my photos soon.

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crack. Ing. Up! More disturbing than my mayo love... is that pic of me! Crazy lady alert. Crazy lady alert!

Yesterday was sooooooooo much fun, and of course bittersweet since it was my last day with you guys for a while. Thank you for the fun and great memories. I will always think of you now when I hear "sponge worthy".

I heart you guys so much and miss you already. xoxo - the crazy mayo lady.

1:15 PM  
Blogger little acorns said...

What a fun day! . . . & Monica - (when you come back to read the comments.. . ) I love your haircut!!! So Cute!!

I am cracking up over the 'booklet/folder' (?) thingy that says, "I'm unexpectedly good at the needlework thing." (!) LOL! Wish we had a Diaso store here. . . but nope - I'll just have to come to CA for that experience!
xo, Bren

1:41 PM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

That is too much fun. You are just making us all jealous. What a lovely time you all must have had together. Friends are wonderful.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Paganelli said...

All my favorite peeps!! Pam Monica and you!!! Big Smooches!!!! Tell everyone to take the challange I want to see!!! xoxox Jennifer

4:41 PM  
Blogger Miss Jean said...

Wow! I must drive over to Union City to go to Daiso! Luckily, it's not that far from here. I just called Thimble Creek and ordered a kit for one of the quilts I saw on your blog. Joe sends his thanks! Don't you just love the internet!?!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Rosalyn Manesse said...

So funny. Wish we had a store like that around here

6:53 PM  
Blogger Mary Anne Drury said...

Did you girls call ahead and at least warn those poor unsuspecting store owners that you were on your way? :) Looks like you all had a blast .... and where were those stores when I lived in California?!?!?!?!!!(especially Thimble Creek ..... RATS !!)

9:41 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

I feel like I was there too! Hate the heat but what better way to endure it than buy cool cheap things from Japan?! Oh how I wish to visit that place with all of you.

Hey, how come I didn't know that Monica has new designs out?

Very cute pictures.

I'm loving Pam in the pink. (Not in a creepy way.)

11:52 AM  
Blogger Red Geranium Cottage said...

Dont ya just love that Daiso store. I wanna go back again. And I need to go to Thimblecreek too. It's been forever since we were there. Gotta sweet talk hubby I guess.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

What a FUN post! Thanks for sharing your day with all of us.

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I envy your outings with your friends. I seriously don't know how you get everything done! Take care and see you at market.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

I have never been to a Daiso, but it looks like a must plan drive!! How cool to spend the day with Monica! Looks like you ladies had a "wild and craaaaaazy time!" (of course..use your best Steve Martin voice when saying that!)

toodles,
Becky

8:17 AM  
Blogger The Chicken Lady said...

Any time spent with Monica is a great day! :) And at Daiso, even better!!! Don't you just love the fact that most everything has a smiley face? Even the sponges! :) Glad you girls had fun.

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older