Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I'm back! (well, sort of)



Yes, I'm back home...and I brought home a super cool souvenir from the ship. A REALLY NASTY COLD. Cruise lines have many positives: they do the cooking, cleaning, laundry, and provide neat tours. It's a terrific way to get a taste of what an area is like so that someday you can come back for a more in-depth visit. Without involving another cruise ship.
One of the downsides? The number of people who don't let being sick interfere with their vacations. If I had a nickel, or a euro, or some sort of pence for every time I was directly coughed upon, I could now be ordering all the items from the UK that I'm convinced would make my life ever so much better--starting with a conservatory.

But that's enough complaining.
For now, anyway.
Everywhere we went was wonderful. I've got a long list of places to visit again someday.

And to set the record straight, Melvin didn't really go with me. He gets seasick.
I was invited by my Dad so that he'd have a traveling companion--for awhile anyway--I'm home, but he'll be on that ship for 3 more weeks!

I really dislike flying. Just ask Pam. She probably still has my claw prints in her arm from the first time we flew to Houston.

However, the flight to Amsterdam was wonderful. The plane was immaculate and roomy. Couldn't spend much time being nervous because flight attendants were constantly passing out food, drinks, and warm towels.
Not to mention the fact that I was able to sit in comfort watching one of my all time favorite shows, Top Gear!

I'm pretty sure that's Ireland down there below the wing of the plane, but if I'm wrong, you can let me know!

After getting on the ship in Amsterdam, our first stop was Newcastle, England.


The tour bus took us through the city, where I got this picture that I knew I'd want to research later. It's actually now a museum, which I didn't know at the time--all I knew was I loved the odd little girl.

Next stop was Durham Dales. Here are some photos from a simply wonderful garden.






And this gate? Don't you think Anne needs one of these?

Next we went to the charming village of Corbridge--where I went completely nuts over this shop window!



The shop is perfectly straight--I was the wonky one, but hey, it was raining, people!



There are lovely flowers absolutely everywhere...sigh...

More later!
Time to go back to bed for awhile.
Grrr.

14 Comments:

Blogger Happy Zombie said...

Welcome home! I'm loving the pics so much! All I need is a pint and I'm practically there! Oh that gate... Anne so needs to have one. And Top Gear on the plane... too much (love it too, but and REALLY looking forward to the American version with Adam Carolla hosting).

More, more, more please!

1:22 PM  
Blogger jen duncan said...

Oh my gosh Elizabeth. That polka dotted window display made my heart skip a beat! *SWOON*ing in a big way. How frustrating...not being able to cart it all home! :-) Looks like you had a wonderful time. I look forward to more pics!

1:36 PM  
Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Wow! How wonderfully exciting!!! Love that shop window -- did it scream your buddy Pam??? ;-)

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are back safe & sound. That shop window pic is pretty enough to be a postcard : )

5:25 PM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

Yes that window does scream me. This little comment would have been here yesterday but blogger was teaching me a lesson and not letting me comment. Darn Blogger. anyway, can't wait to see all the photos and I'M GLAD YOU'RE BACK.

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome home. what beautiful photos! makes me want to go to england!! thanks for sharing.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Anne Sutton said...

So I added up the cost of the flight, hotels, rental car and shipping and I figure that gate will cost around $5000. I really want it! Do you think that's too much money?

Welcome home! Glad to have you back and I can't wait to see more photos. Love that shop window too!

7:50 PM  
Blogger Angelina said...

Bummer about the cold! The trip looks like it was fun though. I'm wishing I could be there in that garden you photographed...heaven!!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Miss Jean said...

Wow! A roomy plane where they wait on you hand and foot. Who knew they still existed? Can't wait to see the rest of your pictures!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

OMG! I would have stopped the bus for a look inside that wonderful shop! Love the little mushroom at the bottom of the window!

Anne needs that gate!

Glad you had a wonderful trip and I do belive that is Africa under the clouds - just kidding! ha.

xo

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I don't have a trip to England planned in my near future, I thoroughly enjoyed visiting the countryside through your photographs. Just beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

9:13 AM  
Blogger life in red shoes said...

does your dad need a traveling companian for the NEXT 3 weeks? ha ha

9:41 AM  
Blogger Red Geranium Cottage said...

I would love love love the get inside that shop with the red/polka dotted dishes. OMG did you get to go inside??
Too bad you missed going to Cath Kidston though. I'm sure you would have had a blast in there.

7:39 PM  
Blogger muffinandme said...

Hey, I'm up to July 2008 now. I must admit that I LOVE flying, but I have been taking aeroplanes places since I was afew weeks old. I was born down in Victoria in a place called Frankston, but my Mum's Mum lived up in Brisbane in Queensland, and together we used to fly up to visit her about once every five or six weeks. Mind you once I graduated from 727s (love their takeoff) to 747s, I was rather disappointed by their takeoff - hardly seemed to be moving at all. Mind you I was always excited anyway. If I was on a 747, it meant I was heading back to the states.

Like you, I LOVE Top Gear. I think it is the best, best, best car show - not that any others really interest me. I still remember the first time I caught it, and Jeremy Clarkson, who had be road testing a BMW 4WD described it as having "all the architectural merit of a 1950's school building". And the times like when they decided to try out caravaning, or the many and varied competitions they have had with each other. We now have access to a channel called BBC Knowledge and Top Gear is on every afternoon at 5pm weekdays. I'm in bliss.

All the best

Jocelyn

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older