After I completed the top for Nick and Kari's quilt (more on that later!) I was faced with a rather impressive pile of leftover fabrics. Tragic, right? I didn't want to overwhelm my son and his girlfriend with mom-made stuff, but it was tough to stop.
They agreed that custom pillows might be cool, so this is what I came up with. I used the pillow pattern in this book (which I just happen to have on hand...)
Here's what the back looks like, so you can see it's basically a reversible pillow, which will allow Kari to flip Nick's over if she'd like to ignore him for awhile.
Which trust me--will happen.
I couldn't let my previous potholder experience deter me--I discovered that round ones are ever so much easier to bind.
For this very utilitarian towel, I fused a strip of the quilt's focus fabric on the front and added rick rack.
For the dish towels, I traced the bird image from the fabric, enlarged it and appliqued it to the front of a dishtowel. The circle towel coordinates well, plus it was darn easy to do.
I figured they didn't have refrigerator magnets, so I covered a couple of buttons and glued heavy duty magnets to the back.
Finally, I added this super cool tile trivet I found here on Etsy!
All of the projects were lots of fun and kept me occupied during the waiting days before the big move.
P.S. If you haven't been over to The Quilt Show yet this week, you need to go check out the Daily Blog posts--we had SO MUCH FUN! Be sure to enter Pam's contest so you can win a Star membership of your own!