Wednesday, August 19, 2009

apartment warming



After I completed the top for Nick and Kari's quilt (more on that later!) I was faced with a rather impressive pile of leftover fabrics. Tragic, right? I didn't want to overwhelm my son and his girlfriend with mom-made stuff, but it was tough to stop.



They agreed that custom pillows might be cool, so this is what I came up with. I used the pillow pattern in this book (which I just happen to have on hand...)



Here's what the back looks like, so you can see it's basically a reversible pillow, which will allow Kari to flip Nick's over if she'd like to ignore him for awhile.
Which trust me--will happen.



I couldn't let my previous potholder experience deter me--I discovered that round ones are ever so much easier to bind.



For this very utilitarian towel, I fused a strip of the quilt's focus fabric on the front and added rick rack.



For the dish towels, I traced the bird image from the fabric, enlarged it and appliqued it to the front of a dishtowel. The circle towel coordinates well, plus it was darn easy to do.



I figured they didn't have refrigerator magnets, so I covered a couple of buttons and glued heavy duty magnets to the back.



Finally, I added this super cool tile trivet I found here on Etsy!

All of the projects were lots of fun and kept me occupied during the waiting days before the big move.

P.S. If you haven't been over to The Quilt Show yet this week, you need to go check out the Daily Blog posts--we had SO MUCH FUN! Be sure to enter Pam's contest so you can win a Star membership of your own!

22 Comments:

Blogger Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

what a cute set of gifts.. and great use of fabrics... i love it!

8:05 AM  
Blogger Minick and Simpson said...

OMG! They will have the sweetest apartment ever!

Laurie

8:09 AM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

The projects are wonderful and even better as that the kids appreciated them!!!

8:25 AM  
Blogger HMaas said...

Those pillows are great - well everything is!! I am sure they will appreciate everything.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

Your homemade gifts are really wonderful, love your creativity!! I'm sure they will appreciate as you said.

8:49 AM  
Blogger happy zombie said...

Will you be my mom? Though it would be weird since I think I'm older than you. But hey... I'm all good with that!

Dying over your video today. "It was a rental car... and a very roomy trunk" killed me. And I'd even heard that while I was standing there. So funny and you're so darn cute - and I want to hate you for being so darn cute - but I think that would harm my chances of you adopting me.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- what lucky kids! That's a perfect housewarming set and I LOVE how the trivet coordinates so well with it all!

9:24 AM  
Anonymous blop said...

Boy you filled your blog up today! Love, love, love the quilt show...you are so adorable! The 3 of you were very funny, fun and you did great interviews! I would have died, but you all handled it so well!
Your house warming projects showed alot of love! Some lucky kiddos, there!

9:37 AM  
Anonymous tammy tadd said...

Cute stuff! Lucky kids. "Darn lucky" I would say. Loved the video too!! Miss you!

10:14 AM  
Blogger jen duncan said...

I love all the projects you made for your kids! Reminds me of myself. When either of my girls moved into a new house I went to 'help' decorate and didn't leave until every room was DONE and there was a perfectly coordinated welcome mat on the porch. :-P It's hard bein' me sometimes. thank goodness for visa! Loved your video post today. You girls had such fun. I love that pinwheels quilt in the background too! May have to make one of those someday! :-)

10:52 AM  
Blogger Mary Anne Drury said...

What a nice (and ambitious) Mom you are !!! I'm still working on Kid #1's HS graduation quilt (and that was more than a year ago) .... what's worse is I haven't finished my niece's HS grad quilt either (and I forget how many years ago she graduated .... however, the fact that she's now 21 and seriously dating a nice guy, I figure I can roll that grad quilt over and it'll magically transform into a wedding quilt ! Ta Da !)

Anyhow ... LOVE all the fun goodies you made !! (and I'm also enjoying your antics ... along with your side kicks ... over on TQS .....and I told Pam she just simply HAS to stop putting her friends in the trunk of her car ....she's gonna grow up to be some kind of a delinquent !)

2:13 PM  
Blogger Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

...you are such a good mom!!!! too cute!!!!!

...i'm having a giveaway if you'd like to perhaps induldge them in an amazon book.....check out the aug 15th post.....just thought i'd heads up ya on that one...

xx
becky

8:57 PM  
Anonymous randi said...

Very cute goods!

7:29 AM  
Blogger Karin van Dam said...

That's a cute set. I bet they'll love it, it's such a thoughtfull gift!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

That fabric is fabulous. What a sweet thing to do.

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great gifts you advice me by this. Can you upload something for children.

RITA

Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step

1:00 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

The interviews with Alex were so cool. Loved meeting all of you gals. I read Pam every day (or whenever she posts) and I've love Alex for ages. Have a great day!

7:22 AM  
Anonymous barbara@quiltsoup said...

These are my absolute favorite things you have made! Too wonderful.

9:13 PM  
Blogger life in red shoes said...

Such talent!
Can I be your neighbor and you can teach me how to sew?

7:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

These are amazing thing...
great work..
--
Michell
Get the best FREE offers on the Best Home security Systems

4:24 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I want to move and have you send me those exact house warming presents!! I need pillows made with P and A! Maybe i'll just make them myself. SOOO Cute!

9:40 PM  
Blogger Library Gal Quilts said...

Just darling Elizabeth! What fabric is that? It just screams my name! If you have a minute (I know you don't right now) could you let me know? I haven't seen it anywhere up here..thanks! Pam in Chico

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older