Tuesday, June 30, 2009

a cool summer skirt can change your life!




Have you been over to Pam's yet? If not, it's ok with me if you skip it today. It's a very silly post and it might be best to avoid it.

So you can skip Pam, but don't skip the Moda Bake Shop! There's a wonderful skirt pattern there and it was so much fun and easy to make and awesomely swirly twirly to wear. I'm planning on making several...I'll just have to stop before I become known as the Neighborhood Granny Skirt Lady. Although I'm sure I've been called worse!

Pam takes her photography very seriously...and we spent a fair amount of time looking around Livermore to find olive trees--since that's the theme of the Santorini line.

As usual, we ended up getting rather silly. One of us more than the other, I'm afraid...we started thinking of The Sound of Music and romping thru meadows and the like...and I got to thinking about the scene where Maria makes play clothes for the children out of draperies...so what else could I do but make play clothes for MY children out of the scraps?

Turns out Jane doesn't mind this dress at all (previous attempts at garment wearing had been less than successful). It was a shock--she was totally fine with it and appreciated the opportunity to rub her tummy on the cool grass.




Pam is now a little afraid that I'll make more Jane outfits and soon become one of THOSE women...

Melvin's custom collar was a success as well...it's the first garment I've ever made for him and taking into account his plus-sized frame made for a more comfortable collar.



So I took the kids to the park and had lots of fun*!







Then we went back to my house where there was more shade.





And yes, it's the park that's right by my house and yes, there were other people there.**

*No, Melvin didn't really go down the slide...

**It sure seemed like all the people there wouldn't be paying any attention to what we were doing, but one lady did tell me she saw me "dancing in the park" and that it "was sure pretty!" in that soft, quiet voice you use when speaking to someone who is clearly deranged and you don't wish to upset them.

Hope we don't have to sell the house over this.

Anyway, so go make yourself a skirt and see how goofy it makes you!

26 Comments:

Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

Those little animals are so cute.. you crack me up!

7:22 AM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

Absolutely hilarious. What a great story and pictorial. Love it. The skirt is lovely on both you and Melvin! I need to make some skirts for my daughters. What a good pattern.

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now Anne's Chelsea is going to be jealous. She should have sewed herself up an outfit from a honeybun.

10:48 AM  
Blogger suz said...

Elizabeth, between you and Pam, my afternoon has certainly brightened up considerably (cold, rainy weather and working for attorneys can do you in sometimes!) I saw your Maria impersonation on Pam's blog and loved it. But I think Jane and Melvin were the best - I truly loved Melvin's collar!

10:54 AM  
Blogger Kelly O. said...

you guys are NUTS! and that's why I keep coming back! :)
love the skirt!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Miss Jean said...

Have you and Pam thought of a television show? Sorta like Lucy and Ethel without Fred and Ricky. I know I would watch!

12:12 PM  
Blogger strawberrycream39 said...

Why does Melvin crack me up so?? Must be his outfits. This is the cutest yet!

The skirt is really pretty, you make a wonderful model! So funny about the park people!

6:16 PM  
Blogger Busy Little Quilter said...

This is hilarious. My family is probably wondering why I'm giggling so much.

I love the skirt! Thanks for the tutorial.

8:42 PM  
Blogger antique quilter said...

great post, I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard
Love the pictures of them at the park, tooooo cute!
love their outfits too!
Kathie

1:49 AM  
Blogger Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

I can't stop laughing..I bet you were the hit of the park.

Love the skirt...but ME THINKS that if I make that skirt...I would be arrested. You can pull it off beautifully...dang.

Pat

2:21 AM  
Blogger happy zombie said...

HILARIOUS! The photos are fantastic - you are fantastic!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Red Geranium Cottage said...

OMG you are killing me!! I'm telling you, MODELING is in your future. Next we'll see you on the front of a pattern packet. I will say I KNEW YOU WHEN........... because I did right?? lolol
The "kids' are adorable. You must be so proud of them. They wear there new clothes well.
Hugs

9:40 AM  
Blogger Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

you two crack me up! i started making my skirt and i'm half way done... man it takes a while to sew all the jelly roll strips together!

6:24 PM  
Blogger Thimbleanna said...

You guys are hysterical! And NUTS! Have you started singing "They're Coming to Take Me Away" yet???

6:40 PM  
Blogger Auntie Pami said...

I love my serger. That's all I'm going to say about speed sewing. And, the edges are finished. I love that skirt, but I'm not as tall as you and for sure not as thin. I think Melvin is so cute. And, your little dog, such a fashion statement!

7:55 PM  
Blogger Mary Anne Drury said...

Odd behavior? what odd behavior? I promise if I saw you and your "kids" in your mother/daughter and mother/son matching outfits I wouldn't bat an eye!

P.S. LOVE that skirt!!

9:03 PM  
Blogger MarmiteToasty said...

I LOVE the skirt, I truely do.... dam, what does that make me LOL I wonder if I could make a little one for Janet - dam again, now I sound almost as crazy as you LMFAO......

X

2:19 AM  
Blogger Kim Brackett said...

Beautiful skirt! I can see why you'd want to dance in the park. Do you design clothing for cats as well?

6:39 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

OMG - I love the skirt, Elizabeth! And I love Melvin and Jane's outfits - I don't care if you become "one of those women"...keep 'em coming...this made my day for sure (hmmmmm....I must need a little more excitement in my life???- LOLL))
Cheers!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Paganelli said...

love the Melvin block!!!!!!! ok so I'm a bit partial but what I really want to say is you look so darn pretty in this skirt..I mean gorgeous!!! I think Melvin would agree!! Can't wait to see the tuffet all made up!!

3:39 AM  
Blogger Heidi Kaisand said...

I LOVE the skirt, I love the extra outfits for the kids, and I love being silly. Life is too short not to be.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Kay Whitt said...

OK, you have created a monster! I went to Moda Bake Shop and downloaded the pattern, then I ordered a layer cake and jelly roll in the Clementine fabrics and made the skirt today. LOVE IT! It is so easy and I made it with my serger. I made a couple of modifications to make it shorter for my vertically challenged self, but I just love how it turned out....so much so that I have ordered more layer cakes and jelly rolls to make two more.....you and Pam are evil! Just kidding...thanks for coming up with such a cute easy pattern!

1:16 PM  
Blogger tina said...

I'm woefully behind on blogreading----- LOVE the skirt and plan on making one (I have had a version of this in my closet for seasons now)---- but the photos of the fur people! Ohmygosh, how cute is that? You know I sew for my little girl dog........... now I will have to make us matching outfits. I can see it all now (and it probably won't be pretty!)

10:30 PM  
Blogger Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Catching up here! What a darling post, Elizabeth! Jane and Melvin look smashing in their new outfits! LOVE your skirt and it looks fabulous on you!!! Super cute and lots of fun!

thanks for the smiles today,
becky

8:57 AM  
Blogger Aine said...

how sweet that you made a collar for your piggy. I love that you got a picture of both of you together. I lost my boys and though I have lots of pictures of them, I have none with me in them :-(

10:14 AM  
Blogger The Chicken Lady said...

You are a silly girl! I LOVE the skirt but I ADORE the furbaby clothes! OH MY! My life is changed just from looking at the pictures. :)

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older