Monday, September 27, 2010

Quilting in the Garden 2010



What a weekend! It was absolutely awesome and I still can't quite believe that I had the great opportunity to be a Featured Artist at such an amazing quilt show. The only thing that could have made it better would have been up to Mother Nature...it was around 100 degrees both days.





Quilts were everywhere. Hanging between the trees, on the buildings, between the buildings...and Alden Lane always looks amazing without the quilts, so believe me--photos (especially mine) don't do it justice.



I was at my table most of the time, so didn't get much chance to see everything. I was so happy to get to "work" with my eldest son--aka known as my Number One Son, especially since he volunteered to spend his entire weekend with me!



The other featured artists were fellow bay area quilter Denise Sheehan (check out her quilt "Bird Haven"--I want to make that one so badly...)
See the darling daisy quilt hanging above my table? That's one of Denise's patterns and if I had a dime for every time I heard someone going nuts over that quilt...well, I'd be someplace cooler right now.



And the star of the show was Sue Nickels. Yes, her quilts are beautiful, but one in particular, called "Tea at Tenby" (above)absolutely took my breath away. I've never seen a quilt as beautiful as that one. My photos turned out horribly--please look at that quilt on Sue's website.

Of course Alex was there--my son thought she was pretty cool. Well, duh, right?



And Pam came for awhile. Here she is with my fantastic quilter Darla, of Wildflower Quilting.



On Sunday I got to see Bari and Verna. Bari was on her way to Day 2 of her trunk show at Wooden Gate Quilts and you'll want to mark your calendar because Verna is going to be the Featured Artist at Quilting in the Garden next year.

It's so great to meet and talk to other quilters. Some I already know, others I'm just so happy to meet. Case in point would be Loni. She's a local quilter and she does beautiful work. She brought her Garden Fresh quilt for me to see and I was blown away by the quilting. And it's so exciting to see a finished product made from my book!

If you can possibly make it next year, it's so worth the trip.
And because I know he occasionally does check out my blog...here's a special shout-out to my son Eric. Thanks so much--I couldn't have done it without you! And no, I don't just mean that your moving out made it possible for me to have a studio...



P.S. You'll want to check back later in the week...it just so happens I have an extra little kit and some fat quarters of Red Rose Farm, and so it seems appropriate to have a giveaway.

7 Comments:

Blogger Pat Sloan said...

wow look at you!!! what a great day for you!

7:14 PM  
Blogger Thimbleanna said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time Elizabeth -- you look so cute there among your quilts and friends. And what could be better than to have your son there, taking an interest in what you do?!!!

6:08 AM  
Blogger Miss Jean said...

Yes, it was a beautiful quilt show, although it was hot enough to melt fabric! The tour was so much fun and is the best way to tour the grounds - you did a great job!!! Little Peyton was very impressed, especially with your picture quilt that hung out front. I think she'll be making one in the not to distant future. Thanks for such a wonderful day.

6:53 AM  
Blogger farmhousequilter8 said...

Looks like a wonderful weekend

6:54 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

What a great post...it must have been amazing to be there...and your quilts are all gorgeous!

6:58 PM  
Blogger Mouster1 said...

What a great way to spend the weekend...surrounded by beautiful quilts and special time with your son! Wish I lived closer to enjoy a good time. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

I so enjoyed your photos and hearing about your fabulous day! Eric is a special young man to devote all of his time for his momma! Loni's quilt is amazing! No doubt that that was super fun to see your work done at the hand of another artist.

You look beautiful, too!!!!

xo

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older