Thursday, July 22, 2010

pretty proud of myself



So last Friday was Pam's birthday. I knew she'd be out having fun with her family so figured that gave me some extra time to do some birthday sewing.

I've mentioned in the past how Pam is the absolute ultimate gift-giver. She has such a knack for finding the most perfect presents. Yes, I admit I enjoy her talents--I've received some pretty amazing things over the years. But you know, it's also a little bit stressful because it's awfully hard to measure up to that.

A few weeks back I was in Sonora for the day with my husband. Walked past a shop that to be honest I've never been able to find anything in. Did a classic double take when I saw what was near the door. A vintage toy refrigerator. With a decal of a kitty on it. And little shelves inside--perfect for storing tiny treasures. I dashed inside--I mean yeah, what are the odds that someone else would want to snap that up, but I HAD TO HAVE IT. And it's in Pam's colors.

A week or so after that, when I was at this store, I found some fabric that would be perfect for Pam. I thought about just buying her a yard of it, but then decided that would just put pressure on her to make something so why not make something for her myself. I'm still waiting on Red Rose Farm to arrive so that seemed the best solution.

But what to make?

I decided it would be nice if she had some soft, packable slippers to take to Market. I'm still haunted by the blisters she got a few markets back so that became my plan.
I used this slipper pattern. She loves red gingham so that was an easy choice to bind them. Those are vintage buttons, too. Well, slippers just don't take that much fabric. At least not for Pam's feet.

That left quite a bit left over so I decided I should make her a bag to carry the slippers in. I love Kay's patterns and used this one.

Couldn't wait to give her the presents! Finally got to do that today when she was over here to help with a top secret photo shoot. (Insert diabolical grin here!)

20 Comments:

Blogger Jacqueline said...

You deserve to be proud of yourself. What wonderful gifts for your friend.. wish I had a friend like you when it comes to considerate people.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Thimbleanna said...

What a sweetie you are Elizabeth. It looks to me like YOU are the ultimate gift giver!!!

5:31 AM  
Blogger Vickie E said...

awesome...I NEED that pattern. so cute. great gift idea

6:01 AM  
Blogger Vickie E said...

awesome...I NEED that pattern. so cute. great gift idea

6:01 AM  
Blogger mascanlon said...

Wow, you are all around clever girlie! Perfect gifts for Pam. And is your new done over studio to be a future feature in the Quilt Life?

6:04 AM  
Blogger Mary Anne Drury said...

Kitty is now on a mission to drive me NUTS until I find her one of those refrigerators !!! (although she says she'll settle for a mini bar .....) ANYHOW .... those slippers and little tote are ADORABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. and belated congratulations on your baby boy's graduation !!! My baby has one more year of high school .... so next year I'll be the blubbering mom at graduation wondering how in the heck my boys grew up SO FAST (when their mother still looks like a teenager herself!!!.....now wait, I'm choking on my coffee.....)

7:26 AM  
Blogger Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

What a sweet gift for a sweet friend. So personalized!

8:04 AM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

They are super-cute-super-comfy!! Love the whole combo, plus that kitty fridge is killing me.

10:09 AM  
Blogger happy zombie said...

So cute I could weep. Oh wait... I just did!

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously,
I want to pick those slippers up and just HUG them...... what a great freind you are, nuff said

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Miss Sherry said...

Elizabeth
Anonymous is Miss Sherry I am weary from a road trip with Tammy girl and not thinking straight
We had a blast and you and birthday girl were mentioned several times by this Thelma and Louis duo. No cars over the cliff thank goodness

6:13 PM  
Blogger Miss Jean said...

Good job, Elizabeth!! You hit the nail right on the head!!!!!!

8:00 PM  
Blogger life in red shoes said...

Holy Whip, you totally win the best friend gift exchange!

PATTERN?

11:43 PM  
Blogger Goosegirl said...

Oh I LOVE the little slippers and bag and that little fridge!!! You are so talented! I love it all. Lucky Pam!!

9:50 AM  
Blogger strawberrycream39 said...

Such great gifts, Elizabeth. You are so thoughtful and talented! Perfect presents!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Juliejaz said...

What a wonderful gift! I love those sweet little slippers. I'm going to have to add those to my 'want to make' list. So pretty!

9:24 PM  
Blogger Library Gal Quilts said...

oh how sweet of you. Honestly those slippies are the best! That little fridg needs a tiny diet coke!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Kay Whitt said...

Hey Elizabeth...great job on that little bag from my Little Luxuries. It is just perfect for Pam!

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What nice gifts. The frig is adorable. She sure will be thrilled.

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Sarita said...

Hello Elizabeth,
What nice gifts and I like your quilts.
Sarita

1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older