Wednesday, June 02, 2010

the good, the bad and the ugly


aka...an update on the studio! Actually there's not much bad or ugly in there anymore, but it's still a work in progress.

We're all friends here, right? So I can admit to some things? Like for instance, my addiction to shelves. Yes, shelves. I even have shelves stashed under my bed--there simply isn't room in my house for them all. But they're all pretty darn cute, so that makes it ok, right?







You'll see there's a practical reason for most of them. I've got a lot of stuff. Some in my house would call it "crap", and I've heard that word more than a few times. But that's ok. Because it's my studio.



I figured my chair could use a makeover, so I made a slipcover for it using an old sheet and some fabric I just happened to have. I'm happy with it--unfortunately so is the cat.



The bookcase got cleaned out--most books were donated or moved to my bedroom. My Japanese books stayed put--they're among my favorites even though I can't read them. This freed up space for my jars of buttons and vintage trims--and one of my old breadboxes fits perfectly on the bottom shelf. I'd tell you what I store in it but I can't remember. That's the only tough part of this--I'm really having trouble remembering where I put stuff. Even though it's all organized.



Case in point--my rotary cutters and scissors. They'd always been in the closet, but I needed every inch for my fabric. So I moved them to the top of the bookcase. And every single day I look in the closet for them.



Here's a pic of my closet. I have another addiction--snacks. I have to keep them hidden from one of my sons, so that's where they are. Well, that's just one of the places they are. I have a lot of snacks.

Those really ugly closet doors will be coming down. They were the cheap, builder doors we opted for when we bought the house--seemed the best solution for a boy's room. Now I suppose I could replace them with mirrored doors, but I really don't want to watch myself sew. I've installed a wooden pole and when I can find just the right fabric, I'll make a curtain to cover the mess.



I might redo the window curtains at that time as well. But how do you like my new bunting? It's from the cleverest kit ever that I found over here.



Moving on, we come to what was Melvin's table. No, he's fine...but he's had to move downstairs, at least for awhile. Compton Pig's bff Jack died a number of months ago and poor Compton was pretty upset about it so we figured he could use some company. I really do miss my pal, but he's happy downstairs with his new buddy. So that freed up some space for my vintage fabrics and WIP's. Or at least what can fit in some baskets.
I'll be making a liner for the vintage shopping cart--when I find just the right fabric.

So I was all set to start this post earlier today when a package came in the mail. The name didn't look familiar...am I so brain addled that I'm now ordering things from ebay or etsy and not remembering? Thankfully, not yet.




It was the most beautiful pincushion/needlecase ever! I mean, look at that! What a generous gift from the mother of a customer! Totally made my month. At least a month. So I had to do a little more rearranging so I could give this treasure a special spot. I get the feeling Venetia wants me to use it...she even included a needle...but can't do that quite yet.

So here it is so far...tell me what you think! I'll be definitely adding more fabric touches here and there...you know, when I find just the right fabric. Preferably something with roses.

29 Comments:

Blogger Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

SUPER! NICE! TERRIFIC...I'm going to cover my sewing chair ASP. I love it. I think I'll use some polka dot fabbies. You inspired me.

Pat

6:20 AM  
Blogger Minick and Simpson said...

Makes me want to work in YOUR studio. Sweet.

Laurie

6:38 AM  
Blogger Glenna @ Hollyhock Quilts said...

Oh my! Now I must leave my vacation and go home and redo my room immediately! It's wonderful!!

7:04 AM  
Blogger trish said...

Oh my sweet heavens! May I move in? :o)
Your chair is precious!! I love it all.
Sincerely ~ Tricia

7:26 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Everything is beautiful...love your fabric closet...so many gorgeous pieces in there! Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to see your goodies Pam got you from market too!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

I've been anxiously awaiting your room reveal. It is really pretty. I love all the shelves and cute things on them. I think it would be incredibly inspiring to create in your space. You've given me a good idea - take everything out and then redo. Something I really hadn't thought of. I have a huge selection of magazines I need to get rid of. I think I will cut into them and take out the pictures I like and trash the rest of them. I just don't have room and I'd rather have pretty things on that shelf.

thanks

7:45 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

You do have one or two shelves! I like the idea of the one with the ribbons hanging below ready for use. I don't use enough ribbon to use the idea. My favorite of your shelves are the ones with all the fabric!

9:24 AM  
Blogger Miss Jean said...

Your room is looking so sweet and inviting. It makes me want to finish mine. I think I'll go grab the neighbor boy who is home from college and see if he will paint for me!!! Jean + paint = mess!

I like the idea of incorporating a vintage tablecloth in the room. Hmmmmm.

By the way, if you need me to "store" some of that fabric from your closet, I would do it for you. What are friends for, right?

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adore those little guinea pigs!

12:37 PM  
Blogger jenny allsorts said...

Lookin' good! You sure have some nifty stuff, no wonder you need all those shelves. I have excess shelves stashed away, too, but it's because they aren't cute enough to make me go to the effort to hang them. Yours are adorable!

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Miss Sherry said...

Cute cute cute. Think of you so very often. Wish you guys lived closer..... can't wait to see everything completely finished!!!

3:38 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I have an idea! Maybe you could find just the right fabric in that closet! Holy guacamole, that is some stash! Or if they aren't just right I could just come take them off your hands. : )

8:48 PM  
Blogger Sewn With Grace said...

Oh my, if there is a sound in the middle of the night it will be me, climbing through the window and never leaving. Everything is SO pretty! Just my colors too! I love all your special touches. The gift you received is amazing! Love the chair! I could go on and on. Great job!

4:48 AM  
Blogger Thimbleanna said...

It's beautiful Elizabeth! I love all of your pretty little bits of crap LOL. Especially the shot of those gorgeous fabric stacks!

5:44 AM  
Anonymous AnyoneCanQuilt said...

I love your sewing room and all the crap in it! Your closet of gorgeous fabric stacks have me a heart attack, and I love all of the little Cath Kidston touches. I just got the new summer catalog! x

10:09 AM  
Blogger Ellie Roberts said...

Everything is so cute, but that fabric stash, I am drooling!!

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Lori in AZ said...

Love it all !!!!
I've been redoing my sewing rm too and found a beautiful vintage picnic basket at Savers perfect to put projects in under cutting table.
Got a wall of pod cabinets that all hook together in sage green 4 w/glass doors 2 w/beadboard and 3 cubbies so much easier to see my stash & colors put together ;0

5:21 PM  
Blogger jen duncan said...

Oh my goodness Elizabeth. Sweetness abounds at every angle and on every shelf! That is some serious fabric pileage in the closet there...almost didn't even see the snacks, I was so busy studying the enlarged version!
I SO wish I could do a major purge. The hard part has always been what to do with it (the NON fabric craft crap). The school our grandson is going to next year actually has a fulltime art teacher so maybe I can send a few truckloads her way! ;-) Have fun creating in your wonderful *new* space.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Adorable, sweet, darling, cute, etc are all words that would describe your sewing room. Now, can I come play so we can mess it up? LOL

The special gift is beautiful, Elizabeth.

8:27 AM  
Blogger dokiquilts said...

sigh...what a beautiful room. but i'm drooling mostly over the fabric--what a gorgeous palette you have.

9:51 AM  
Anonymous robbienae said...

You are so inspiring!! I have this really old chair and I was planning to cover the cushion. Now I'm going to cover the whole thing:)

10:08 AM  
Anonymous happy zombie said...

Sew, sew, sew pretty, E! I think I heard blue-birds chirping as I read your post.

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Robyn of Coffee and Cotton said...

Well you sure have some of the cutest 'crap'! I love your sewing room...and that snack stash idea is a good one! My kids wouldn't go looking in my sewing room.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Tammy Gilley said...

The studio re-do looks fantastic!! Everything is so sweet and pretty. I just want to move right in!

1:37 PM  
Blogger schmidt1016 said...

Can I move in? It looks so sweet and cozy. You did a fantastic job.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Sachiko said...

Oh, wow, I love how you organize and decorate your creative space! Thank you for sharing the pictures with us!

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Sandy said...

Your studio looks wonderful! A girl can't have too many shelves.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

You know that I LOVE your style!! Everything is so cute and just so YOU!!

Great job on the chair cover!!

Becky
:)

8:29 AM  
Blogger Goosegirl said...

I love your chair! My chair desperately needs covering and I think you just inspired me.
And your fabric stash! OH MY!!! I am in love!!

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older