Sunday, February 04, 2007

Summer Memories...








Last summer I had the most wonderful experience--I got to go on a European cruise with my father. It was one of those one-day-in-a-country type trips but turned out to be two absolutely glorious weeks--and something I think about literally every day. We started out in Amsterdam then went to Scotland, Ireland, Guernsey, France, Portugal, Madeira, Spain and back to Portugal. Each place was very different and each place was incredibly beautiful.



And yes, I'd love to go back--and while cruise ships are terrific, I'd really love to be able to spend more time on land--especially in Scotland and Ireland--there's something particularly special about visiting places connected to my ancestry.
ANYWAY...when we were in Ireland, in the Dublin area, we took a tour through Powerscourt Gardens. Photos simply do not do the place justice. It was breathtaking. Even with the overcast skies. The photo of the pink rose is what I have as my computer wallpaper. Yes, it's just a rose, but it's a rose I saw in IRELAND.











So naturally I've got to make an Irish Rose quilt. The Valentine's quilt has been set aside and I'm now knee deep in tiny pink rosebuds.

6 Comments:

Blogger Happy Zombie said...

Oh Elizabeth... your Irish Rose quilt, even those still in it's infancy... is so beautiful! I love how you're quilt is inspired from your trip!

I did the Artist's Way for Quilters last fall, and one of our "assignments" was to go out and "see" something that inspired you. WELL... I was just at the beginning of my aqua obsession and snapped all kinds of photo of all things aqua around Pacific Grove. This is SO ME to be inspired in such a way... but there was an aqua porta potty that just stopped me in my tracks and inspired me. My mind is still drafting my "Atomic Aqua Potty" quilt. Why couldn't I have found a pretty flower? I guess if we chose our inspirations... they really wouldn't be inspirations!

I'm hogging up your comments with my babble... maybe I should babble on my own blog, LOL. Anyhoo... what I really want to say is that I love your ideas, your fabrics, and how you inspire others!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Happy Zombie said...

Your... not you're! Why don't I see typos until AFTER I hit "publish"!!!!

10:58 AM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

Ohh this is so pretty. I love your stuff.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too love your stuff...this is adorable, can't wait to see the finished quilt!

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were so lucky to have a nice trip like that with your dad. You'll have those memories forever ....

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have inspired me. I just finished my last project (can we ever have them all finished???) and have been thinking about the next quilt. The fabrics you chose are beautiful. With Valentines Day coming fast, I think some roses are in order.

Keep the pictures coming!

5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older