Tuesday, May 15, 2007

It's time to head home...



Market was GREAT. Exhausting in many ways, but still a terrific experience. And it seems odd to realize that preparations for the next one will be starting before we know it.
It was tough to leave Salt Lake City. I suppose I could put in another snarky comment about their "street grid" but why bother. The motel did have easy access to our freeway, so off we went.
It's so much easier to take off on a long expanse of open road far from civilization when you have truckers like this guy who let you know how much he appreciates women...can't you just feel the love?




OK, now here's a question...just what the heck IS this thing? It's in the middle of freaking NOWHERE (well, I guess you can't call the salt flats "nowhere") and is painted up so pretty. Is it some kind of microwave tower? Is it some sort of space creature hatchery (note the opened egg-pods on the ground)? Is it painted all fancy merely to give drivers something to ponder as they pass? Because wow. It sure fascinated US.
So yeah. Utah was pretty awesome.

And then came Nevada. A necessary evil when California is your home. Which begs the question--all you folks who think California should drop off into the ocean? HAVE YOU PEOPLE BEEN TO NEVADA? I mean really! I'm sure Nevada has some wonderful qualities, but Pam and I seemed to have missed them.



But Nevada doesn't last forever...and then come all the signs that we're nearing HOME. "Home" represents not only Starbucks (but YUM!), but a husband, 3 sons, 2 dogs, 1 cat, 4 guinea pigs and an unbelievable mound of laundry. But great to be back!

8 Comments:

Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

Hooters, man that guy pissed me off. And he was so icky looking. ICK.

Anyway, we're back. I'll be waiting to see what that ball thing is, surely someone will tells us.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

I like your sign post *snicker*. I couldn't resist! I have no clue what that strange thing is either.

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not showing my "hooters", I hate bad corporate art (which is the only horrid term to describe that wonky bulbous pole in the middle of no-where) and YES, Starbucks is a sign od civilization to this fellow Cali girl. Elizabeth I love your blog, your the coolest!

7:16 PM  
Blogger Happy Zombie said...

Creepy, creepy! I bet he gets shown a lot of middle fingers instead.

That ball thing is fascinating! We have something on the same lines up here in the PNW. On I-5 between Portland and Seattle in the middle of nowhere (sort of) there's a collection of miscellaneous statue tower things. Turns out (according to our Evening Magazine) some uber rich guy in Seattle had em built. He's housebound and has cameras there and watches the people ponder them. Maybe it's the same guy?

Fascinating!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Mary Anne said...

At first looking at the picture of that truck, I couldn't tell what you were talking about when you said about that guy appreciating women -- then I clicked to enlarge the picture, read the sign on the back of the truck, and just about spit my coffee on the computer !! JEEZE !!! Also, I can SO relate to that pile of laundry just waiting for you when you get home -- even when I'm only gone for a day, I swear it takes me a week to get caught up at home.

One last thing -- and please don't hate me -- but I tagged you to list 7 weird things about yourself. Then you get to tag 7 more people to do the same. Of course, if you've already done this, you're excused. Also, I know you must be pooped from being at Quilt Mkt, so don't feel obligated to play. Anyhow, I listed my 7 things on my blog today -- so go see how weird I am. (http://moonbeamsinajar.blogspot.com)

5:42 PM  
Blogger The Chicken Lady said...

Maybe that "thing" is a cell phone tower all prettied up. Have you seen the ones in CA that look like palm trees? I know they have them in SoCal. And, yea, Nevada..blah.
That trucker has issues. Whatever dude, I mean, how many people take their OWLS on a road trip like that!

7:13 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

That 'thing' alongside the freeway out in the middle of nowhere is 'ART'. Done several years ago by someone who has no ties to the state of Utah - weird, huh? Loved seeing your booth at Market - you have the coolest stuff!

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I moved to Nevada from California about 35 years ago and never looked back. Love it here! Love Reno! There's a beauty in all the small high desert towns! The only problem now is the "growing" too much. We're getting too big. Maybe your blog comments will help keep people away!!!!
Barbara

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older