Thursday, March 29, 2007

Can Someone Explain?



I can't have ALL my projects quilted by Diana, much as I'd like to. I've got a few things I'm trying to get ready for Market that I really need to finish myself. So as I'm cutting the border for this project yesterday, I read the selvage. WHY did Michael Miller decide that "Dumb Dot" was the best name for this fabric? It'a a darling, cheerful polka dot! It does not deserve this.



The picture below is not of my Bernina. It's one of Pam's. My "good" Bernina decided to go on strike the other day and my "other" Bernina (I will never again refer to it as the Crappy Machine) does not have needle-down, and maybe I'm a wimp, but I really did not relish the thought of machine quilting without that feature. Hence the loan of this machine...yes, Pam saves the day AGAIN. Well, she's not here today to ask about the finer points of this machine, but gotta say, I'm quite intrigued by this "smart" button. The mind boggles. What does it DO? How many ways can it help me? Will it counteract any problems that may arise from my "dumb dot"?



So many things to worry about while sewing...

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leave it to Pam to have a machine that has a "Smart" button. Isn't she just the best!!!

8:03 PM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

Hey, what does that 'smart' button do anyway? OH, I think its something to do with working on some kind of stitch pattern and then switching to regular sewing, then going back to the stitch pattern. I'm sorry, I don't have a smart button so I don't know. I do know that eco is like putting the machine in hibernate while you do something else so you don't have to totally set it up again, but uses less electricity. And probalby extends the life of that $100 lightbulb. Not that I bought that bulb, we got the machine used, someone traded up and we bought it a year old. As you know this is poor Bret's broken dreams machine, he wants to be embroidering cool stuff all the time.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Anne Sutton said...

Your dumb dot looks very cute on your little quilt. I used the dumb dots in green in my whole booth once. Really fit right in! Now as for that smart button, I have to go see if I have one! Everyone should have one of those.

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's a riot that it's called Dumb Dot. It's made for me, because I can't work with a polka-dot unless it's a random print. So for me, this polka-dot describes ME using it!

I can't work with a needle up needle down button either. I'm an Elna devote, and have only used a Bernina maybe a handful of times... but the one I used if you tapped the foot peddle it would go down (or up if you're in the down position). If I did that with my Elna's, the needle position would go through the whole cycle... but give the foot tap a try.

Love your basket quilt you're working on! Can't wait to see it finished! Are your pins the EZ anodized (sp) pins? I love those. Aren't they great! Like going through butter!

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, my name is Cyndi and I have an addiction to Polka Dots... *SQEAL!!!* Oooohhhh - I love it. "Dumb Dot" or not, it's just darling. And, by the way, I'm envious of how far along you are. I have three (count' em THREE) quilts to quilt this weekend....

Haven't met you yet Elizabeth, but I hope we can meet at Market.

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need a smart button (on my forehead), and why does dumb dot make me think of good name for blonde... ooops just kidding :-o
this quilt has a bunch of my favorite things, dots... baskets...

6:41 PM  
Blogger Mom O Matic said...

Love the dots, love the quilt! Can you fly out to Chicago and teach me?

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need a Smart Button! Oh the things I'd do with that!. :D

Lovely quilt, btw... I'm here from HZ and PKM:

8:09 PM  
Blogger The Chicken Lady said...

Oh, I ventured over from PKM and wow! I'm so glad I did. Darling baskets. I'll be "seeing" you lots! :)

6:54 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

I've only made three quilts in my entire life and so far I hand quilted each one. I'm scared to try to machine quilt. One of these days I'm going to have to try because I have a Pfaff that was designed for the express purpose of quilting!

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older