Tuesday, May 08, 2007

I Think I'm Home...

Not entirely sure just what day it is...but the surroundings look familiar so I think we made it back.
I've got tons to report about our trip to Market and have tons of pics to share but I'm thinking most of them are on Pam's camera...
Well. Have to start with the story that impresses the HECK out of Pam and me...but sadly no one else.
We did a really thorough job of checking weather reports, etc, but were not prepared for the "Chains Required" sign we saw outside of Auburn. NO ONE had reported the possibility of snow. And we don't DO snow.
And oddly enough, no one seems to sell chains at 6:30 in the morning in a small town in May.

This big orange CalTrans snowplow probably should have been a clue, but I don't think I'd ever seen one before...
So my sidekick Pam got on HER sidekick (you know, those complicated phone/computer gadgets that gals like Paris Hilton and PamKittyMorning carry) and her husband Bret assured us that if we got going RIGHT AWAY we could "probably" make it to the summit. So that's what we did.

Pam of course did the driving while I ever so helpfully kept leaning over her shoulder to report that the outside temp was continuing to drop at an alarming rate just in case she couldn't read the display on her dashboard. That seemed to annoy her after a bit so I settled myself into a fetal position while clutching my purse. I firmly believe that my purse-clutching, combined with holding my breath, really helped to get us through. It was a Team Effort.

So anyway, needless to say, we did make it. And were SO RELIEVED to see that we'd made it into Nevada. Which is pretty funny considering how mind-numbingly dull that drive turned out to be...but at the time we were thrilled to be heading into Reno on a quest for something delicious to eat. Because we deserved a fine meal after the traumatic start to our journey.

More later!!

8 Comments:

Blogger Happy Zombie said...

I LOVE reading your story E. I love the way you write and I'm enjoying this so much! I can't wait for the next installment.

Must find out what those two trucks are doing. Should I shield small children's eyes?

11:56 AM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

Ha hahaha. Me and Paris. In the same sentance.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Claire said...

I am impressed dear. We went up to Tahoe a few weekends ago and it unexpectedly began to snow and we were all panicky "should we head home now, later??" and our friend from St. Louis (whi truly knows the definition of SNOW) is laughing at us crazy Californian's who flip out over two inches of snow. SHe reminded me that she drives in 8-12 inches from November to March. I patted her in the back, gave her a gold star and continuted to discuss the precarious issue with the hubs. We left early, bought chains and it didn't snow till just after we got ovet ther pass.

Yes, she laughed at us.

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YA!!! your home!!
Pam watchout, while you were gone Paris got her very own "sentence"

2:18 PM  
Blogger Mary Anne said...

What an adventure !!! Glad you made it OK !!! -- and just so you two don't feel so bad -- I'm a native Pennsylvania girl - - have driven in snow and ice every winter since I got my license (except for the 6 years hubby and I were actually southern Californians when we first got married -- Pasadena area) -- anyhow -- I'm STILL a white knuckle driver -- and I even have 4-wheel drive because of my job -- I'm a homecare physical therapist and I spend my day making house calls -- many of them up on the local mountains -- however, my rule anymore is if the school buses aren't running up there, neither am I !!! Can't wait to hear all about your trip!

3:41 PM  
Blogger The Chicken Lady said...

Ya know, I've never thought about Pam and Paris being one in the same, but now that you mention it....tee hee I'm glad to hear that you girlies had fun, can't wait to hear "the rest of the story". :)

8:07 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I am really enjoying your posts on Market and Pam's as well. You guys look like a force to be reckoned with when you get together! I bet you had a ball! Just added you to my "favorites", hope that's ok.

12:43 PM  
Blogger little acorns said...

Oh my gosh. . . . I didn't realize you had such a time geting to Market!. . . You were so lucky to have Pam. . . so determined to get through the snowy roads. . . & surely your clutching & breath holding did really help make it happen! It was so good to see you! I looking forward to seeing the rest of your Market photos! (I took way too few!) Your booth was so pretty!!!!
xo, Bren

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older