Thursday, May 24, 2007

Reality



First of all, thanks so much to those of you who commented on my weird things. Now I don't feel so odd--I guess it IS ok to love my grandpigs. Maybe they need their own quilts...hmmm...

When I've been obsessed with quilting, other things tend to take a backseat. Years ago, when my kids were small, we had a really lovely yard. I spent countless hours planting annuals, feeding and fussing over my roses and perennials...and it was easy to do since I needed to be doing SOMETHING while my boys played outside. I've never been good at sitting still...

The yard has suffered over the last few years. I'd love to pull everything out and go low-maintenance. But even doing that involves more work than I've got time to do. So we deal with a side yard a person can barely walk thru.



A week or so ago, the same kind of look was going on inside the house as well. For some reason, OCD perhaps, when I'm done with something (like Quilt Market) I have to get organized. Nothing wrong there. But I'm compelled to pull out every piece of fabric I own. This isn't even all of it. How bad is that.



Pam came over while this was going on and it was mighty embarrassing. She actually looked me in the eye and demanded that I explain myself!

Of course there's no explaining it. Just has to be done. And it is better now, see? Well, again, can't see all of it...



At the present time, most of my fabric lives in the laundry room. I have a goal to someday have an actual "studio" that I can take lovely pictures of. But in the meantime, this is reality.

So today Pam had to come over again. I'm pretty lame with Photoshop and she's become quite skilled so I needed a mini-lesson. And what a treat! Look who came with her--the always darling Peep!



I just LOVE Peep. She'd never met my dogs before--Old Willard had to go upstairs since he was a bit much for her. We'll leave it at that. But wow. He sure didn't seem so elderly today! Peep and Rosie got along great. Rosie's a bit jealous, but Peep won her over. Oh, yeah. Pam was fun, too. It's always special to have FEMALES in the house. I'm always so unfairly outnumbered.



With any luck, next week should bring some stories of new projects. It's always a combination of relief and dread when the new ideas start churning around. Until then, have a great long weekend, everyone!!

9 Comments:

Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

I'm sorry but that overgrown side yard looks like a dream to me. Like a magazine photo. Peep would look so cute pitter patting down the little path. She had a good time but is exhausted from the experience.

And my photoshop skills. Ha. What an exaggeration.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I think your garden looks like a lovely haven too.
Love the way you have all your fabric arranged in neat stacks by color. I have a hard time separating fabric pieces from their group, if they are a collection. I would love to know if that bothered you at first and how you got past it.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Mary Anne said...

I agree -- I like the way your garden looks -- that overgrown, cottage look (that's what I'm trying to achieve at our not quite 3 year old new house --we just started to figure out the landscaping last fall, and now that it's warm again, we're going at it full tilt -- but it all looks so new and the house is a farm house style that I'm trying my darndest to have look like it's been here for 150 years instead of 3.)

....and I must say, that organized fabric is quite impressive -- my fabric always looks like fabric picture #1 !

1:43 PM  
Blogger Happy Zombie said...

Both yards are beautiful to me! WOW! BEAUTIFUL!

Peep and Old Willard... too cute for words!

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in a Sacramento quilt shop that looked like a mini shrine to The Late Bloomer! A pattern on every shelf! How fun!!!!!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Anne Sutton said...

Wow flowers, fabric and animals! You have the perfect combination. I love your garden...nature likes to be overgrown and it's at it's prettiest when it is. Your fabric is a feast for the eyes, and the doggies...the cutest ever.

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful garden E. And your fabrics, wow, what organization! I love the shelving with folded little stacks. I also saw some of your patterns at Mt. Shasta in a quilt shop & had to smile.

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay E. You & Happy Zombie made me refold my fabrics. I see you have about 20 stacks & there is more in another room?? I don't feel so bad now.

I took all the "junk" off of my sewing room closet shelfs & was able to fit 20 stacks also. Plus there are more stacks in a couple of drawers that I have to tackle... another day. Two days of folding. I think neither one of us never needs to buy another piece of fabric again, except for borders or backing of course . Wish, wish. Now to find a place for the "junk" that I can't part with.

Okay, Pam, it's your turn.

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I can't decide what I'm more drooling jealous over, your fabrics or your gorgeous cottage sideyard! It's so pretty! If only I could get my sideyard to do that, but alas, I am denied. ARGH! I just love it so much! (Oh yes, should say I just came over here from PKM and I love your blog! Blogrolling you right now!) ~A :-)

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older