Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Quilt Labels (yes you really should!)



OK, tell the truth--how many of you always put labels on your quilts? We all know we should, but it's a step that is so easy to ignore--especially if the quilt wasn't made for some "special reason".
All quilts are special and all should have a label. And honestly? I used to be really bad about it myself.
But there are ways to have fun with label making...here's how I do it.

First, I don't wait until the quilt is finished to make the label. Odds are, once that last stitch is put on the binding, a needle will never come near it again. So at some point during the making of the quilt I do the label.



I really recommend the HP Custom Quilt Label program. It's inexpensive and very easy to use. If you've got the computer skills necessary to read a blog, you can make gorgeous labels.
While the program does come with clip art, I'm not a big fan of their selections. So here's a really good reason to pick up a few of those nifty books-with-CDs that are out there.


I love finding just the right vintage image to go with my project. And border/background colors are practically unlimited. As are the fonts you can use.

You can get 4 small labels on one sheet of Printed Treasures, or one large label.


Yes, Printed Treasures is pricey, but the cost per label isn't bad. And there are always sales.

So have fun making some cool labels and impress the heck out of the recipients of your quilts!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quilt labels are a must. Those are so darling!

11:44 AM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

Cute labels! You are so clever with them. Love your selection for the Jackie's quilt and Lullaby is the perfect name!

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just reading your book this afternoon, looking for a great font of letters to put on a pillow for a great nephew...and of course I found the perfect one.
Thanks for reminding about labels, I agree that they are very important and I love yours and your ideas.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Mar said...

I love the graphics you choose! and of course you are the queen of lettering! now are you going to show us the quilts?

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laurie, I love Dover too!!! I thank God for copy tight free anything..love what you have done here...Jennifer

3:37 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Love the labels - very cute. Sadly, I do not add labels to my quilts - walking away hanging my head in shame. :-)

7:05 AM  
Blogger The Chicken Lady said...

I agree, all quilts are special. And, I agree that they should have labels. I don't always put them on, tho. Bad me. You've inspired me to make them BEFORE I finish. I'll try that. :)

7:11 AM  
Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Love your labels! I'm one of the bad quilters -- you're so right about the needle not making it back to the quilt when you're done. By the time I finish a quilt, I'm sick of it and eager to get to the next one. What a great idea to to the label earlier in the process.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

So true! Labels are so important. I love your ideas.

7:12 PM  
Blogger little acorns said...

I love your vintage touches on your labels! I'm so inspired of how you print yours!! I'm ashamed to say that way too many times (sometimes as I'm packing them for Market. . . ), I've been known to grab a fine line sharpie. . . but no longer!!! (I especially love the idea of making them while working on the quilt. . . when you need a break!) Thanks for the ideas!!

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom and I always put labels on our quilts, the idea of not doing so seems odd, but I'm shocked by how many quilters do not put labels on, this is a great post!!

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older