Sunday, August 26, 2007

Out of my element--for spooky fun!

It may be

to be thinking "Halloween" in August, but that's exactly when American Harvest transforms into an amazing Halloween wonderland.

When I got the invitation to their Halloween party, there was a bit of panic. See, the invitation mentioned wearing a crown, tiara or "fanciful hat". I don't have any of those items. Plus American Harvest happens to be a place where if you
do need a crown or tiara you can find something lovely there. Like this
for instance--just one of the beautiful items made by Donna O'Brien.


It just didn't seem appropriate to go and purchase something for the event. Much as I'd love to be a paper/mixed media artist, I'm not. I'm a quilter. So my hat had to be cloth-based. I started with a Butterick pattern for a historic medieval-type hat. I measured my head and according to the pattern, I'm a size large.
Uh, turns out I'm actually an XXXL, but more on that later.


It had been YEARS since I'd used a tissue paper pattern. And cutting something out with scissors? How bizarro was that.

Wanted to use black and cream, so I went to my stash and decided to sacrifice some of my favorite LakeHouse pieces. Gotta love anything with letters/words all over it, so that became the base of my hat. The pattern called for buckram--had to first find out just what buckram is...oh, and I had to blanket stitch WIRE all around the base as well. You know, so that it could form to my head. This was becoming quite a production. A soon to be rather ironic production, but again, more on that later.


Looks more like a dunce hat at this point, but at least it's time for the fun part. Time to make a big 'ol mess on the table and dump out any possible embellishments.

The tulle didn't work out--which was a disappointment 'cause how often does a gal get to wear tulle? But plenty of things made their way onto my hat.

I used rick rack, rayon seam tape, vintage millinery flowers, antique lace...transferred a vintage postcard image onto Printed Treasures fabric for the front--and finally got to use some of my glitter! I made yo yos in 2 sizes (those Clover yo yo makers are AWESOME, by the way) and made a little paper "boo" tag and a bird tag as well.
Here's the back:


So here we are at the party...Sandy in her clever crown made from an American Harvest bag, Sharon looking lovely as usual, Pam in her MISSING hat, and finally, me, in the hat that WILL NOT FIT ON MY APPARENTLY FREAKISHLY LARGE HEAD.

But it was quite fun and anytime spent at American Harvest is a good time!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

E, your hat was so WONDERFUL! It will make a great table centerpiece for the fall holidays also.

11:08 PM  
Blogger little acorns said...

E. . . you had me laughing so hard(!) Mostly so bacause I can sooo relate. I too have a great big ol' noggin. So much so that as much as I love them . . . hats make me a little nervous. Nothing ever seems to fit. But. . . as someone dear once told me. . . if that's so, then it must just be because there are so many creative ideas up in there!. . . so see. . . it can be a good thing. . . (?)
xo, - Bren

7:07 AM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

Your hat is super cute. Super. Cute.

And uh my hat, invisible. Not missing, INVISIBLE.

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your hat! It is not your head...it is those tissue patterns, they are morphodites once they get jammed into their packages! Not you...no!!
PKM's invisible hat is very her, too..lol ;-)
Looks like you all had a fun time!

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never heard of American Harvest. I need to go click on yoru links. COOL hat, very princess meets vintage halloween postcard. Looks like you had a lot of fun!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Have got to get over to that shop! You all just had too much fun.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Barbara Jacksier said...

I'm jealous. I've so wanted to go to American Harvest but I live clear across the country. And, when I finally get to Carmel for a photo shoot next week, I fly in to San Fran in the morning, shoot till sun down, hit the sack, shoot all day the next day and catch the red-eye home. Not fair.
Barbara

6:00 PM  
Blogger Donna O'Brien said...

WoW! You did a wonderful job- a regular "black cat in the hat"! Here's to me making it to AH next year and meeting you!!!
Donna

7:38 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

I know Pam claims that her hat was invisible, but I think she should make up for the missing hat by wearing one to work, what do you think?

I'm quite enamored of your hat.

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older