Friday, November 16, 2007

I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours...



It's OK! Really...there will be some less than beautiful photos coming up on this post, but nothing you should have to shield your eyes from.

As an applique person, I'm regularly hearing from people who would just love to try applique, but they can't. Too hard. Can't do it. Tried it once and hated it. And so on.

I feel the same way about crochet. Was raised by Knitters--yup, my dad is an amazing knitter, as was my mom. For some reason, crochet was simply not done in our house. Never knew why. I can remember asking if someone could teach me how--the answer was "no" and it was clear the subject was taboo. Right up there with sex and politics.

When I was around 12 I snuck one of those little Coats and Clark Learn to Crochet booklets into my room...you know the one, with the smiling, poncho-clad girl on the cover...never could get beyond the chain stitch so figured it was impossible. And it's highly likely I threw the book across the room. That was a signature move for me for more years than I'd like to admit. But ANYWAY...

Fast forward to Quilt Market. Specifically Jackie Clark's amazing booth--and part of what makes it so amazing is the crochet artistry of her sister Tamara. Jackie gave me a copy of her new book


--and just look at the darling crochet edge on that receiving blanket! I can't remember the last time I've wanted to make something so much. Pam and Tamara made plans to get together so Pam could learn how to crochet little trimmings around old button cards--something Tamara does and they're so adorable you could cry. I WAS BEYOND JEALOUS. But Pam promised she'd teach me once we got home.

Fast forward a little more. I was in a hurry the morning Pam was coming over so when my scan of a vintage button card turned out all wonky I figured that was fine. Not knowing what I was doing, I punched huge, crooked holes all around my card. Again, figured that would be fine. And it was. So here's the beginning of my very first beyond-chain-stitch crochet. I know. Overwhelming, isn't it. But it really does kinda sorta look scallopy! And it was loads of fun.


I decided to try some more! Picked up this pretty yarn figuring perhaps "Grace" was what I was lacking.


Pam pointed out this spiffy light-up crochet hook--sort of the Fisher-Price of crochet hooks. Time for a granny square!! Well, not quite yet, apparently, but may I present my very first Granny-Blob.



Not much like a square, I know, but it's a blast to do. And the yarn is almost as much fun to play with as pretty fabric.
I'll probably always be better at applique than I'll ever be at crochet, but seriously--this has been much more fun than I ever would have imagined. So try something you just know you can't do, and let me know how great it turns out, ok?

17 Comments:

Blogger Mar said...

It's adorable! If you really want it square, I bet you could coax it with some starch and pins? Perfect color choices.

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth,

What a great job you are doing. I was so happy to see you picked up crocheting so easily and you are excited about it. That makes me so happy I started crying.

Love,
Tamara

11:06 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

It's really cute and reminds me of a hexagon from a Grandmother's Flower Garden.

I haven't crocheted in years and years and definitely do not know how to knit.

11:11 AM  
Blogger little acorns said...

Thanks exactly what I thought! You could make a bunch of your little blob/hexagons & then it could be a "Granny Blob Grandmother's Garden' blankie!

I just think that it is as cute as can be. . .!
xo, Bren

11:19 AM  
Blogger little acorns said...

oops. . . I meant, "That's exactly what. . . ."
(sigh.. . . I think I put my fingers on wrong this morning. . . )

11:20 AM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

It looks just fine to me. But you know me and my less than high standards. Tamara was a great teacher and she coaxed the old skills right out for me. My mom is a knitter for the most part but also dabbled a bit in crochet, I like crochet but knitting is much easier for me. Still, I love the crochet and the granny blobs and the trim and those afgans everyone was making.. I like too much stuff.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

I was a crocheting "wild child" in high school vests, scarves, etc...tried to pick it up again a few years ago, and I couldn't do it...like one little bit. Really upset me, needed someone to give me a refresher course and I couldn't find anyone to teach me, it's becoming a lost art!

loving your color combo...and what is that fabric under it???


I'm just saying.

grins,

H2

6:20 PM  
Blogger Thimbleanna said...

I think your blog looks pretty darn cute! As does that card -- I've been meaning to do some of those cards (or something similar) ever since Pam first posted them on her blog after spring market -- I just love them! Good for you for perservering!

7:25 PM  
Blogger Perry said...

Good for you! And this is the first time I have ever seen a lighted crochet hook, lol. Crochet is very relaxing,doncha think?

11:20 PM  
Blogger Fabric Fanatic said...

Elizabeth, we must be on the same wave length! Last week I ran into WalMart looking for crochet hooks and a book on Granny Squares. Mind you, I've only crocheted afghans, those zig-zag ones and did them some 25 years ago and nothing since. I don't know a single crochet from a shell stitch, but have it in my mind to make granny squares! Where the heck did that come from? Okay, I think that some of the colors I've seen on framed quilt blocks have made me think of granny squares, and I do need some "hand work" to keep me busy in meetings, and yes, I think I'd love to have a granny squares vest...but really, what was I thinking? It's not like I don't have enough quilts circling in my head!
oh well, maybe I'll find someone who can teach me.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Busy Little Quilter said...

It's beautiful!

You give me hope! I can't crochet at all. Well, I can't teach it to myself. I will have to get someone to show me how.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Anne Sutton said...

Oh my gosh you are making me want to crochet again. How darling are those little button cards? Doesn't it feel good just to do some crafts for crafts sake? Wow, you go girl!

8:38 PM  
Blogger little acorns said...

Hi Elizabeth,
I just wanted to pop over & wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving!
xo, Bren

7:00 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

I secretly want to learn to make Granny squares too. I have this really hideous blanket that my Grandpa's wife made years ago that is neon rainbow colored and I keep fantasizing about making one in really pretty colors like the ones you used in your first "square", which, by the way, looks charming!!

So good for you and I'm feeling a little inspired. do you think crocheting or knitting is easier?

10:55 AM  
Blogger Jackie Clark said...

Elizabeth
Hi, I love your crochet and I was so impressed that I myself went right out and tried to crochet a granny square. You have so inspired me. Check out my blog. My wonderful daughter Emilee helped me put it together. Yay!
Love You
Jackie

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the colors and the shape! Oh, oh, oh so cute!

8:44 AM  
Blogger The Chicken Lady said...

I love the colors! And I can totally see you as a crochet-er! You did a good job. I can make lots of crochet chains but they usually start turning into circles instead of rows. I prefer knitting if I'm going to do something other than sew.

3:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older