Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Pears!



I love pears. I love their shape and their many colors. You won't catch me actually eating one though. Bleh.
Pears are also great shapes for applique--nice and curvy but with no tiny bits to stitch around.



A few months ago, I designed a pattern using RJR's "Momma's Apron Strings" fabric line and before Market they asked if I'd make some things in the green and orange colorway for their booth.
So I redid the quilt and then thought it would be fun to throw some pears around.

Here's what I did with Pam's tote bag pattern...I eliminated the flower pin and instead appliqued pears and added rick rack.



I do believe I'll be taking this bag with me next time I go to the grocery store.

I love embellished teatowels, so this next project was lots of fun...just some strips of fabric and another couple of scraps big enough for pears.



I thought you might enjoy tossing some pears around on your own things, so I'm providing the applique shape and some dishtowel instructions for you--over there, on the right. Hope you have fun with it.

You may need to be patient...this pdf takes awhile to load.

Next up will be a giveaway--Melvin is already resting up for it!

19 Comments:

Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

That's so super cute. Love how the tote turned out and I'm glad for the instructions on the towel. I love the fancy trim!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Very cute!

10:50 AM  
Blogger rachel griffith said...

absolute cuteness!!!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

So cute!!! I love the pears on everything! Thanks a bunch!

11:44 AM  
Blogger little acorns said...

Love them!. . . (um, the bag & towel) . . I'm with you about eating them . . . I think it's a texture thing. . . too grainy - or something. But - I can love them this way!
xo, Bren

11:49 AM  
Blogger T@iy@ said...

Very sweet! I love the pears. I will eat them, though. Yummm....

5:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Super cute! i just love everything about it, the pattern and the fabric!

7:13 PM  
Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Very cute Elizabeth! No canned pears full of sugar for you either???

7:56 PM  
Blogger Kim Brackett said...

Love your pears! And the fabric line is too cute.

4:49 AM  
Blogger Auntie Pami said...

Do you know Ronda Beyer? You should-she loves pears too! And, boy can she quilt! That bag is so cute!

7:50 PM  
Blogger strawberrycream39 said...

Ooh, what beautiful pear-themed goodies! Really, really nice. I love pears too (even to eat)! :-) Just lovely!

5:20 PM  
Blogger Jodi Nelson said...

Pears make me gag! Seriously! I can't eat them or applesauce. I LOVE dried pears though! Isn't that weird? But oh my heck your pears are adorable! Must make some. AND JUST TONIGHT I twittered Fat Quarter Shop that one of my new favorite fabrics coming out is momma's apron strings! I even like it more now! CUTE quilt. ooxx`jodi

1:40 AM  
Blogger Busy Little Quilter said...

Thanks, Elizabeth! I have pears in my kitchen, so this will be cute hanging off the oven door.

I'm finishing up my Butterfly Love this weekend. I won the pattern in a giveway you had last fall.

Everyone in my Quilt Guild loves it, so they asked me to teach it. Twenty five people signed up for the class and ordered the pattern! I'll e-mail you a photo when I'm finished.

5:49 AM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

I love pears too. And like to eat them. We usually dry some in the fall. They are so good dried. Very sweet. This is so cute. I've been looking for an applique I can fuse for dishtowels. This would be perfect. Love when I can click and do immediately.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Patsy said...

For some reason, your pear .pdf is not "on the right". How else may I get the free pattern?

8:46 PM  
Anonymous amy said...

Adorable! Thank you! Love that tote bag too! Mmmmm, pears!

5:45 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

So cute! But I am not able to find the pdf tutorial. Is it elsewhere? Thank you.

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Nouveau Stitch said...

Thank you for the adorable tea towel inspiration! How lovely of you to share!

Ellen

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Nouveau Stitch said...

I blogged about this inspiration today.

http://nouveaustitch.wordpress.com/2009/06/25/a-tale-of-two-cities/

Thanks again!

Ellen

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older