Wednesday, June 11, 2008

New friend



Way back when the kids were very young, there was a scrub jay who would come into the yard, fly right onto my hand, and take raw peanuts from me. He (she? only another scrub jay knows for sure) became so tame he'd even sit on my hand and stay awhile. The kids really enjoyed feeding him as well. My youngest son, who was around 4 years old at the time named him "G Bird". I'm not entirely sure why, but the jay's yell does sound a bit like the letter G.



So a few days ago I heard the familiar scream and went directly to the grocery store for some raw peanuts.
We have a new G Bird! 2 days later he is taking peanuts from my hand...you'll have to take my word for it since he's not too keen on the addition of a camera to our routine. It's just as much fun as the last time, except that this G Bird is a really early riser and starts his yelling, outside my bedroom window, at about 5 a.m. He knows when I'm down in the kitchen and even knows when I'm in my studio (and honest--I'm not that loud!) which is at the opposite end of the house, and he'll yell at me wherever he finds me.

Perhaps I'll have to include a scrub jay in a future quilt...for now, it's more crows.
This time with Alex Anderson's new "Never Enough Romance" fabric. Gotta love that red and white.
And birds.

9 Comments:

Blogger Anne Sutton said...

I love your jay and I love that you went to the store to get him peanuts. What a soft heart you have (: No wonder your bird quilts are SO beautiful! Love the red and white. LOVE it!

9:08 PM  
Blogger little acorns said...

I can't even believe that your jay stayed that close for a photo! . . . but animals do know when there is someone that really cares about them . . (even going to the store for raw peanuts!!!) . . & that jay is a smart one. . . & picked you!
xo, Bren

10:21 PM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

I saw that jay on the way out today. He's a persistant fellow. And a noisy one.

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a georgous quilt..I am such a sucker for anything red/white....love A/A fabrics!
Your bird is pretty cute....the ones on your quilt are too!!

6:39 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

I feed the birds, but none of them will come near me. They wait for me to leave food in their feedersLove your quilt

7:51 AM  
Blogger life in red shoes said...

My Aunt has had the same experience in Santa Barbara. She has fed several generations. Hers will tap at the window!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

We have those in our back yard but they stay in the very back part of our 1 1/2 acre lot. They are fun to watch swooping and yelling at eachother. I would love to try the peanut routine but we have cats that live in the barn and I think they keep the birds away from the house. This morning I woke up to some real bird talking outside my window but I couldn't see who was doing it. I love birds! Love them in quilts, too.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Angelina said...

That is so cool! You're a bird whisperer!

I am in love with that quilt. Is that your design then? I want to make it!

8:29 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Paganelli said...

Hey bird lady!!! That is the coolest now picture all your blog readers outside with the skippy.

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older