Monday, February 18, 2008

Looking for a hobby



Don't get me wrong--I LOVE quilting. Really, it's great. But it's no longer a hobby, it's more of a job. So lately I've been on a quest to find some new things to do--things that are just for fun. Where someone else has written the instructions.

Crocheting is fun; I'm enjoying learning that, and it's been great checking out yarn shops. I had no idea there were so many cool yarns! It seems that most shops, at least around here, tend to focus on knitting. So that seemed like a good thing to try as well. I picked up a kit to make a garter stitch scarf--it had little balls of lots of different fancy yarns. While it was easy to knit, I was having tension issues; I think due to the difference in weight of the various yarns and that caused other tension issues. It's at its best in a pile as shown.



But the knitting part was fun! I've seen so many people blogging about knitting socks. Seems like an impossible task, but there they all are creating beautiful and practical socks. So why not give it a try, right?
So I picked up this book and some really cheap yarn to start with. I have to say--it's a good book. I now have a sock. One sock. And it really kind of does look like a sock. Wanna see it? Promise not to laugh? Oh, go ahead. Laugh. My sock and I deserve it.



I was following the instructions for the super large size sock based on my super large size feet. This was not a good idea because only the foot part needed to be longer. Oh, well, no big deal, it's practice. Double pointed needles are NOT fun, but once Pam
showed me how to hold them, that became easier. Making the heel was so cool! I was spurred on to continue as I saw my sock becoming quite sock-like. By the time I got to the foot part I was finally used to those 4 needles and got into a zen-like state of knitting. Completely forgetting about stopping when the sock reached a certain length.
Oh well again. So here's my sock. I don't have a camera lens that can quite take it all in...and it certainly won't fit even me. Jeff thinks his friend "Big Ryan" could possibly wear it, but I'm not making a second one.
But oddly enough I had a great time doing it so may try to make a real pair. With sock yarn. Anyone out there have any advice?? I'd really appreciate it.

Maybe I need a more active hobby. Our family plus some assorted additional teens went to this fancy go-kart place yesterday. For Family Day. Anyone who has been in my car when I'm driving would naturally assume this would be right up my alley. That assumption couldn't be more wrong. There were 8 of us and I came in 7th. The only reason I beat my husband was because he became so dizzy he had to stop.

I was pleased that Jeff beat everyone else by a considerable amount--especially since he's the only person of the group who does not have a driver's license.
He also does not have a quilt. And how horrible is that?



So in a hobby-ish fashion, I've begun making a version of At Home for him, in the fabrics he's chosen. Gotta love those roses--the rest? Uh...not so much. I'll let you know how it looks as it progresses. Maybe.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your sock looks great! Why would anyone laugh? If you hate double points, have someone show you how to use one long circular needle. It's called "magic loop". I did one sock on double points, and then switched to magic loop. Has anyone informed you that knitting is as addictive as quilting??? Oh, and if you can knit a sock, you can knit a sweater. There's another whole rabbit hole!

5:08 PM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

Love all the photos. That scarf is wonderful. I think its supposed to look like that. Love the sock too. I've never made a sock. And love Jeff's quilt. Very cool.

All I can say about the go karts is, I'm glad I had a girl.

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sock looks like a sock--better than my last knitting attempt at the age of 12. My mother couldn't pick up her knitting for 3 years LOL! Consider it a learning experience.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fun. I used to knit but have forgotten how. Scarves are always quick & easy & "don't have to fit". See you in a few days!

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! I also just learned to crochet recently and have been enjoying knitting even longer than quilting. Have you or your readers found a nice cotton yarn for making granny squares - not too skinny? I'd love to know a name of a brand to try. Regular yarn is too fuzzy for my liking. Thanks!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

I always wanted to knit a sock too - just to say I could. So I did. It wasn't hard at all. But I never did make the second one. One was enough to say I can knit a pair of socks if I want too.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the scarf...looks yummy! The sock is fab, could be a easter sock for your babies. Put yummy treats, like a xmas sock.
Good luck in finding the hobby...they quickly become an obsession, too!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Anne Sutton said...

You just crack me up! Your sock is so cute I think you should frame it! Maybe a 16" x 20" frame will do? It's a keeper for sure. I've never knitted a sock and I really think it's a talent some of us don't have. Congratulations on your first sock!

12:47 PM  
Blogger Dandelion Quilts said...

I think your sock looks great. Other hobbies you could also try are baking and reading. I was just on another quilting blog and she had a picture of mystery books that I just love....by Diane Mott Davidson. They are a fun read.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Thimbleanna said...

And why would we laugh at your sock??? It looks great! Love the color too. I use an Ann Norling pattern for my socks (I would think a yarn shop could get it -- it's printed on both sides of a piece of paper and sells for something like $5.00.) It's a basic pattern.

After you knit a pair or three, you'll get used to the "formula" that socks use and you'll be able to use that as a jumping off point to make socks that will always fit. If I see another pattern that I really like, I'll use that pattern for the "pattern" of the cuff, etc, but keep with the basic Ann Norling formula so that I know my sock will always fit. Also, to determine the length of the foot (and this is with the Ann Norling toe shaping), measure the length of your foot, and subtract 1 3/4". Knit your sock until it measures that length (from the heel) and then start your toe shaping. Presto Chango -- works every time. (YMMV, or you might need a little tweaking!) Confusing? TMI??? Hope you definitely give it another chance -- they're great fun!

2:32 PM  
Blogger tina said...

Laugh at your sock???? NEVER! It is an excellent first sock! And there is something about that whole growing yarn thing that is quite addictive! Personally I dig double points, it feels so organic or something. I love the two circs method (Cat Bordhi) and am trying really hard to Magic Loop. Socks are comfort.... hangeth thou in there oh baby!

7:01 PM  
Blogger Syndeelu said...

Knitting? Crocheting? AND Quilting? WOW! What a multi-talented woman... ;) Awesome sock, and I love the "bandana" style skulls fabric.

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just LOVE your sock! It made me smile. Big smile.

Me laugh? No way. You're about 50 steps ahead of me. One day I would love to learn how to knit. For now, those little yarn weapons will have to make do as shish-kabob skewers.

2:55 PM  
Blogger atet said...

Why would I laugh at your sock? Come on -- knitting is fun. And if it's not precisly a sock you can wear -- think Christmas stocking. :0) If you got into the double pointed needles at all -- you might try a pair of fingerless mitts or something. They're quick, they're useful and someone has GOT to join me in the obsession with them :0). As for the skulls -- um, is it wrong that I kinda like them?

9:18 PM  
Blogger chq said...

It's funny about that skull fabric, Lizzy wants to make a whole out of that style of fabric...day of the dead, skulls, etc. I can't even imagine it. Warm and toasty doesn't exactly come it mind.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Busy Little Quilter said...

Your sock is great! It's better than what I can do. I don't crochet or knit, although I have tried.

My banker was talking to me one day about knitting. She said that there is some tool that lets you make 2 socks at one time!

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older